CBC very messy help!

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
So, I just got the results back of Feloro's post-radioiodine 6 months checkup and there are sooooo many worrisome things!
I've made an appointment to talk with the vet on Wednesday, but I'll go crazy waiting… So please bear with me!

- The values of reticulocytes, white blood cells, and neutrophils are lower than normal.
- The creatinine, ALT, and cholesterol are elevated.
- SMDA & BUN & total protein are within the normal range.
- UPC is slightly elevated (0.42). Unfortunately, they didn't do USG (I'm based in France, and it looks like this urine test isn't a classic here… Although I specifically asked them to do it, they forgot.)

On his last exams in February, he had slightly elevated BUN values, and the ALT values were elevated, although not as much as now.
Is it anemia, liver damage, or acute kidney inflammation? I know that creatinine levels fluctuate and depend on diet and exercise - although he's a super lazy boy, he is on a high-protein diet.

I have to add that he has an elevated BP (likely a result of hyperthyroidism…), for which I just started treatment, and he has still to be checked for dental health (I suspect that he'll require a good cleaning session.)

Does anyone have any idea what it all could mean?
Many many many thanks! And sorry for the long post!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
I have to add that he was sedated (he wouldn't let us take a blood sample - he's had way too many blood tests in the past year).
I remember reading somewhere that it can interfere with some of the results - although I don't remember which ones...

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am not a vet.
It looks like there is some kidney issues starting. That is the creatinine and the ALT would indicate liver damage most likely. Has your cat been on steroids lately? That could explain the low white blood cell counts.

How is your cat feeling?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Ok the low wbc could be from sedation maybe? A stress leukogram?

If he is doing okay right now, i wouldn’t stress over this to much.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh, that thing exists! Stress leukogram! I've never heard about it!
He hasn't been on steroids, no.

Ok, the ALT has been constantly high for a couple of years now, but all the vets kept saying that hyperthyroidism was the cause. I should really insist that we explore the liver issue. I can't help but feel a bit mistrustful of the vets here, they seem to jump to conclusions a bit too fast…

Right now we're all suffering from the heat, so both my cats eat less and sleep a lot more. He does demand food and cuddles as usual though, so I guess he's quite normal!

And for the kidneys, I should probably talk to a nutritionist to bring the phosphorus lower in their homemade food. I know it's a subject that is being discussed with fierce and absolute positions, but financially speaking, it's way cheaper to buy meat and prepare everything than to rely on vet-specific diets… at least here in France. And I prefer to have control over Ca : P and omega 6:3 ratios, for example…

Many many thanks!

Last edited:

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am not a fan of prescription diets. I don’t think his phos was high on the blood work.

Dakera

Life is a long happy cat
Young Cat
Purraise
No, it wasn't, you're right… He's on a slightly controlled phosphorus diet.
I guess I'll wait and see with the vet, thank you so much for taking the time!