Cause of feline idiopathic cystitis?

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat had this problem 10 yrs ago that often happen 4 times for 2 years or 3.
What are usually the cause.

I gave my cat salmon with milk of fancy feast creamy delights. I was tired of her being finicky . So she cleaned up that bowl.
I wanted chicken with milk.

She seems to love the salmon though, should I worry she could get a flare up? She has done so good not getting an episode.
As you can see since she is 15 I worry alot. Doing my best to keep her healthy and happy

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you read up on FIC? I am attaching an article about it (see link below), just in case it helps any. It is called ‘feline idiopathic cystitis' (FIC) because no definitive cause could be identified. However, if you have kept your cat free of issues all this time, you've obviously done all the right things for her!

I can't imagine an occasional meal involving fish would, unto itself, cause a flare up. So, just be 'stingy' in how often you add this food to her overall food regimen. ;)
Feline Idiopathic Cystitis (FIC) | International Cat Care (icatcare.org)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ah thanks! Yeah she developed no crystals thank goodness. But if my picky cat wants something I want to be sure it's safe

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The one single thing that is known to be linked to SOME cases is stress. The very word "idiopathic" means "of unknown origin." You're doing fine with her!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, that was one thing I was afraid of , moving 2 hours then there was a 3 hour . So was pretty much worried on stress. But thankfully it worked out well without an episode.

The one single thing that is known to be linked to SOME cases is stress. The very word "idiopathic" means "of unknown origin." You're doing fine with her!