Caught mom but not kittens, should I let her go?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, it turns out there were actually FOUR kittens, not three
, but after several more days of setting the trap, all four have been reunited.

I still can't touch the kittens, but here's some evidence to show we are, indeed, making progress.

CindyLou diggin' on DaBird.

This is Petey, the last kitten, who was trapped a full 8 days after his mom. He is very much a vocal little personality.

Everyone except Petey was playing with DaBird (that toy totally rocks) and CindyLou got a lot closer to me than she meant to.

This is tonight, the first time this has happened - everyone but Petey, ate their dinner with me sitting less than a yard away.

Ellie was playing with DaBird and got distracted by her tail. I almost fell over laughing (quietly, of course) when she flipped over and grabbed it.

If you'd like to see more (there are some REALLY cute pics), you can go Auntie Crazy's Fosters

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Well, it turns out there were actually FOUR kittens, not three
, but after several more days of setting the trap, all four have been reunited.

I still can't touch the kittens, but here's some evidence to show we are, indeed, making progress.

CindyLou diggin' on DaBird.

This is Petey, the last kitten, who was trapped a full 8 days after his mom. He is very much a vocal little personality.

Everyone except Petey was playing with DaBird (that toy totally rocks) and CindyLou got a lot closer to me than she meant to.

This is tonight, the first time this has happened - everyone but Petey, ate their dinner with me sitting less than a yard away.

Ellie was playing with DaBird and got distracted by her tail. I almost fell over laughing (quietly, of course) when she flipped over and grabbed it.

If you'd like to see more (there are some REALLY cute pics), you can go Auntie Crazy's Fosters
Looks like from the names you were able to get close enough to determine the sexes! Yeah? They're such cutie pies... love the pic of the tabby kit going after Da Bird!

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Had a breakthrough that I wanted to share real quick before I went to work - all four kittens will now eat their dinner within arms-length distance from me and three of the four kittens spent the last two nights pouncing my feet under the quilt! Even better, this morning, CindyLou played with my fingers, on the bed, only inches away from my face!

Everyone still runs like heck as soon as I move, but I guess that will also change with time. I'm very pleased with our progress so far!

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Auntie Crazy

Had a breakthrough that I wanted to share real quick before I went to work - all four kittens will now eat their dinner within arms-length distance from me and three of the four kittens spent the last two nights pouncing my feet under the quilt! Even better, this morning, CindyLou played with my fingers, on the bed, only inches away from my face!

Everyone still runs like heck as soon as I move, but I guess that will also change with time. I'm very pleased with our progress so far!
Awwww! Sounds like they are adjusting pretty quickly.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two kittens forward, one major kitten backward.

This morning CindyLou came running to eat even before I got the food on the plate, then let me stroke her whole body a couple of times while she was eating. Awesome step!!!

After breakfast, both CindyLou and Ellie were on the bed with me playing with my fingers and coming close to sniff my face. I was able to touch both of them without them running away, quick little strokes that looked like it was part of the play.

This made me very happy.

Unfortunately, I messed up with Remo, the same little Remo that I handled so badly last Tuesday night.
He was under the dresser and looked like he wanted to come out, so I moved the dresser away from the wall. His face stayed under the furniture, but his shoulders and everything else was exposed. Instead of thinking, OH! what a great opportunity to show him how harmless my touch is! by gently stroking him until he moved away, I thought OH! what a great opportunity to pick him up!

Total disaster.
I tried to scruff him after I had him out from under the dresser, but he was yowling and wiggling too much to do it right. So then I tried to put him on my bed with a blanket over him to both pin him without injury and to give him that "feeling of security" but, in the end, I just had to release him. His crying and struggling never stopped for a second.

Everyone I've talked to locally keeps telling me to take the mother away and to crate or cage the kittens, then "burrito" them in a towel and walk around, watch TV, etc. as often as possible. But I've seen the mother on multiple occasions bring the kittens out to me, plus she's a good example when I'm petting her. (That's how I was able to pet CindyLou - I started by stroking the mother while the two were eating and once CindyLou didn't run from my moving hand, I just kinda casually began stroking her every now and then.) And CindyLou and Ellie are coming along so well, I don't want to change that. The process of catching them and then crating them - thereby changing our whole routine - seems like it would be counterproductive.

On the other hand, Remo and Petey, while they're coming along - or were, until I attacked poor Remo - are progressing very, very slowly. Their biggest step so far has been to eat with me sitting almost within petting distance and not panicking every time I move slightly.

Maybe the boys need crating? But then, how do I keep them from flying out the door every time I put food inside? And, while my current method (except for my stupidity this morning) is very slow, it is working; is force really a better way? I know the longer they go without becoming calm and trusting, the harder it is to bring them around; am I running out of time even though I'm working with them every day and that's why force is a more appropriate option?

Advice, anyone?

skimble

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You are doing a great job with them all. I have learned that in rescuing ferals each cat and each situation calls for whatever works best.

Recently I got 3 feral kittens that were abandoned by the mom. Caught the mom and got her spayed and re released. The kittens I got were maybe a little younger than the pics you have. I am having to work fast to prepare for possible adoptions.

I put on leather gloves and two layers of thick long sleeved shirts. I reach and pick one up talking in a soft voice and moving with slow but exact movements. They would hiss and bow up and act all bad. Once they are in my arms I hold them close so they can feel me breathe and my heartbeat. I start walking and talking softly and stroking their head. At first I had a thick towel that I would immediately wrap around them losely. If they bite and hold onto your glove, just blow in their face and they let go.

Amazing how fast they settle down. One started purring and playing in a few days. The other two are taking longer but each time I pick them up and walk they relax. You can tell because the pupil in the eyes aren't dialated.

Now all of them purr and don't hiss anymore. Even got everyones claws clipped.
Two weeks time.

If this were an adult, I would personally not do it this way. Kittens are different and my time was short.

Keep trying and they will get it. You are NOT the monster coming to eat them ! Good luck.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Skimble!

Maybe my trying to hold onto them doesn't work cause my kittens are so close to the three month mark? Or maybe it's cause I'm such a newbie at this, and I'm WICKED nervous when I try to pick them up. I mean, the heart pounding, hands shaking kinda thing.

Skimble, how do you catch yours?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The advice to separate mother from kittens MAY be good with a real feral, shy mother who stops the kittens from interacting with you.

But here the mother actively allows you to interact! So here it is NOT the case.
Thus, keep both mother and kittens.

(Btw, as I know, most feral/semiferal mothers do accept a gentle fostering of the kittens. Quite paradoxically. But exceptions happens and a fosterer must be prepared for them).

The advice about wrapping the kittens in is another thing. May be useful with the more shy boys, although as you say, shouldnt be necessary.

Try with Feliway if you want to throw in something extra. (google on it).

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StefanZ

The advice to separate mother from kittens MAY be good with a real feral, shy mother who stops the kittens from interacting with you.

But here the mother actively allows you to interact! So here it is NOT the case. Thus, keep both mother and kittens.

Try with Feliway if you want to throw in something extra. (google on it).
Thanks, StefanZ. It's good to have validation from someone experienced in this craziness. I kinda feel like my life's been taken over by kittens. Even when I'm not in the kitten room (which is rare), the slightest movement from the corner of my eye makes me think, oh! a kitten's coming closer!

As for the Feliway, that was done almost right away. Every little advantage I can get, I'll take!

Everyone's acting today like yesterday didn't even happen. No new progress, but no regression either. Go figure. All that stressing, and I'm the only who spent the day upset.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you spend a lot of time in their room, try reading outloud when you're in there. Or play the radio (classical music or calming "muzak" is good). Gets them used to human presence and is non-threatening.

One of the biggest thrills of my life was when our former feral, who was six months old when we finally caught him, came to me and laid his paw on my leg while I was reading. I was so excited I could hardly breath and it only lasted a second or two but wow!

He still doesn't let us touch him and we still practically have to trap him to get him to the vets for his shots (Thank goodness - only once a year now). But that moment remains a thrilling one still.

Just have patience - you are doing everything right, even with the "bumps' along the way...

kazy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You are doing the right thing. We just have to be patient.
I am rather impatient for many things and that trait frustrated me a lot while dealing with my ferals.
But I learned that animals DO understand when you are trying. And they will open up eventually.

I am still working with my feral boy. When I brought them inside, they were about 4 months old. That was little more than 1 year ago.
I guess some kitties will always need escape route available for them to feel comfortable and safe. Some of them don't really feel like that.

When I brought my ferals, one of kittens did not show herself for entire month.
I left her alone because she originally had umbilical hernia and was the smallest one.
She eventually came out and played and purred.

Don't rush. Be patient. (I know that's kind of hard...)

kittyboy54

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
i have a feral i trapped as a tiny kitten

it took me 2 1/2 years b4 she would allow me to pet her

she is now 6 1/2 years old and is very sweet and affectionate and loves to be petted and loves to groom me

u have to be very patient and not freak them out