Caught A Feral Cat... And I Need Some Advice

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a pretty girl!

You've had some really good advice here already, but I just wanted to say don't give up. She's looking at you with very calm, trusting eyes in that picture. She might be a bit upset now because you grabbed her, but she'll get over it.

My feral rescues will sulk and hide from me for up to a week if I ever have to trap them and take them to the vet. They forgive me eventually though.

I have a similar problem to you when I have to give the wilder ones their worming medicine. Will she (usually) let you stand close by when she eats? I've found the easiest way to get the liquid wormer on the back of their neck is to offer them a delicious treat, wait until their head goes down and the fur at the back of their neck parts a little and then squeeze the liquid on from a standing position. You have to be fast and I'm sure it's not as effective as slowly squeezing it onto their skin, but it's better than nothing.

My cats have an outdoor enclosure, so they need worming regularly. If she's going to be an indoor only cat you won't need to worry about fleas and worms that much, but just in case you ever need to treat her again.

;)
Yeah. She was doing so well, up until i had to grab her. Poor thing. She's doing better this morning. Came to eat in front of me, still nervous about my hands so i moved back and let her eat. She'll be an indoor cat, too many coyotes where i live. They are huge, coywolves actually, a hybrid coyote and wolf mix. I keep my big Bernese dogs fenced in too. Just in case. That's a great tip for the flea treatment. If she needs more next month, that's what i'll do! Thank you :)

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
kimmer3d kimmer3d - How's Lily faring today? Certainly better than she'd be if she were still outside. :)
Yes, Lily is doing much better. The pond was frozen over this morning, so i'm really happy that she's inside. She is eating with me sitting next to her again, and she's been chasing her cheese balls with her tail in the air. I have to be careful not to make too much eye contact, since that seems to throw her off a little. But all i all, she's doing great! :)

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, Lily is doing much better. The pond was frozen over this morning, so i'm really happy that she's inside. She is eating with me sitting next to her again, and she's been chasing her cheese balls with her tail in the air. I have to be careful not to make too much eye contact, since that seems to throw her off a little. But all i all, she's doing great! :)
kimmer3d kimmer3d - Bravo for both of you; it looks like this is going to be a cinch!

:)

bigbadbass

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's such a beauty! Time and food are the denominators here. Sooner or later, they come around. I was a complete newbee when bringing an aggressive, nasty uncooperative Bug indoors, with near daily help here from knowledgeable members (thanks tabbytom tabbytom ) we found success. Note this process took *months*.

At one point i was demoralized at the slow progress and considered "opening the door". Following members' advise I allotted plenty of time and space. He finally acclimated! Almost 2 years in, his transformation has been amazing.

Keep her in!

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's such a beauty! Time and food are the denominators here. Sooner or later, they come around. I was a complete newbee when bringing an aggressive, nasty uncooperative Bug indoors, with near daily help here from knowledgeable members (thanks tabbytom tabbytom ) we found success. Note this process took *months*.

At one point i was demoralized at the slow progress and considered "opening the door". Following members' advise I allotted plenty of time and space. He finally acclimated! Almost 2 years in, his transformation has been amazing.

Keep her in!
It's comforting to know that what's happening with her is totally normal. I've already seen some improvement, but she is still very nervous around me. She has plenty of space and i'm in no hurry. We move at her pace.

She is never going back out. Though i am afraid that she might sneak out between my legs or something when i open the door for the dogs. I'll have to be on her like a hawk!

Avery

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi Kimmer3d! Thanks for taking in this beautiful kitty! About a month and a half ago, I brought inside two cats I had been feeding (and had neutered) and they are still in their "safe room" awaiting a complete bill of health from the vet and then introductions to my other two cats. One cat who seemed feral turned out to be a stray and is now very friendly, but the other cat IS semi-feral and is much more of a challenge.

In addition to getting help from the wonderful experts on this site, I love reading other people's stories, like yours! Bigbadbass said it in a posting earlier: progress can be very slow! I appreciate hearing you say you have all the time in the world and you will move at her pace. It reminds me to relax a little because I also have lots of time for her and don't need to rush this process, much as I'm dying to just grab her and cuddle her! This is a good site to return to for inspiration and reminders that many people have done what we are now going to do and we WILL be successful!!!

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Kimmer3d! Thanks for taking in this beautiful kitty! About a month and a half ago, I brought inside two cats I had been feeding (and had neutered) and they are still in their "safe room" awaiting a complete bill of health from the vet and then introductions to my other two cats. One cat who seemed feral turned out to be a stray and is now very friendly, but the other cat IS semi-feral and is much more of a challenge.

In addition to getting help from the wonderful experts on this site, I love reading other people's stories, like yours! Bigbadbass said it in a posting earlier: progress can be very slow! I appreciate hearing you say you have all the time in the world and you will move at her pace. It reminds me to relax a little because I also have lots of time for her and don't need to rush this process, much as I'm dying to just grab her and cuddle her! This is a good site to return to for inspiration and reminders that many people have done what we are now going to do and we WILL be successful!!!
Yeah, this site is wonderful! I was feeling down and overwhelmed, unsure if keeping Lily was the best for Her. Now i know that i'm doing the right thing. She still is nervous around me, but i can see some progress. She's so cute, i also just want to grab her and give her kisses... but that will have to wait. She might never be a lap cat, and that's fine. Good luck with your new kitties!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some ferals will take longer than others to socialize, they don't understand that people=good things. To them you're just something much, much bigger than they are that has them trapped and confined in this small space that's nothing like what they were used to outside, and all the new strange smells and sounds can traumatize a feral. It sounds like you're doing well so far though, so don't give up.

It may take a long time but she will come around eventually, the most important thing is to be patient and caring and only interact with her when you are in a good mood. Don't go in with her if you're upset because she will be able to tell and it may set her off as well.

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some ferals will take longer than others to socialize, they don't understand that people=good things. To them you're just something much, much bigger than they are that has them trapped and confined in this small space that's nothing like what they were used to outside, and all the new strange smells and sounds can traumatize a feral. It sounds like you're doing well so far though, so don't give up.

It may take a long time but she will come around eventually, the most important thing is to be patient and caring and only interact with her when you are in a good mood. Don't go in with her if you're upset because she will be able to tell and it may set her off as well.
I agree. We don't know what happened to her when she was a kitten or where she came from? Barn? Someone dumped her? I know she is still upset about the grabbing a few days ago, but this morning she came willingly to me for her breakfast and we played with cheese balls after that. It's snowing here already, and it makes me really happy knowing Lily is inside and warm, with a full belly. ;)

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I have a question about Lily's behavior. She is doing well, she played on her own last night for at least a half hour, so that is great. But she keeps hissing at me whenever i approach. She did this before i grabbed her to put the flea treatment. I'll put the food out and she'll hiss, then she comes to eat. Even when i play with her with the cheese balls, she'll hiss at me, then chases the balls. I understand that she's still afraid of me. Is this a warning to keep away? Am i doing something wrong?

dahlia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my ferals that I brought inside used to hiss at me quite a bit even though he was otherwise comfortable around me. I determined it was because he was nervous and that was just his way of expressing it. He will still hiss at me when he knows he is doing something naughty and I catch him at it. I think he believes that a good defense is the best offense. :)

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Even when i play with her with the cheese balls, she'll hiss at me, then chases the balls. I understand that she's still afraid of me. Is this a warning to keep away? Am i doing something wrong?
Continue the routines and don't skip any of it. If she hisses at you, just firmly say no and tell her nicely and say 'we are friends, no hissing', followed by slow eye blinks.

She's trying to establish her position that she is the boss (actual fact she's right, we are their slaves :lol:, but it's alright). Just as what D dahlia said, 'a good defense is the best offense'. But you must win this hurdle with much love and patience.

Once you stay firm and after a period of time, she'll not hiss again. She'll respect you. Don't give up. You're doing great and keep asking questions if you have any.

Last edited:

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. I have a question about Lily's behavior. She is doing well, she played on her own last night for at least a half hour, so that is great. But she keeps hissing at me whenever i approach. She did this before i grabbed her to put the flea treatment. I'll put the food out and she'll hiss, then she comes to eat. Even when i play with her with the cheese balls, she'll hiss at me, then chases the balls. I understand that she's still afraid of me. Is this a warning to keep away? Am i doing something wrong?
Does she swat at you or shrink away, or just hiss? And does she do it all the time or just when you have food for her? If she's just hissing when you bring her food or treats I wouldn't worry about it, most likely it's her way of saying "That's mine, give it to me." Some Cats are just more demanding than others. My foster will give her "angry" meow when it's time to eat and swat at my feet while I'm walking to the kitchen but after she gets her food she's fine.

If she hisses at you whenever you get close to her regardless of whether you have food or not I still wouldn't worry too much about it, she's most likely still a little nervous. Remember you're like a giant to her. Try bringing yourself down to her level, lay on the floor on your back while while you're in the room with her and see if that makes a difference.

If the hissing is accompanied by swats with claws out then you have a problem, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Continue the routines and don't skip any of it. If she hisses at you, just firmly say no and tell her nicely and say 'we are friends, no hissing', followed by slow eye blinks.

She's trying to establish her position that she is the boss (actual fact she's right, we are their slaves :lol:, but it's alright). Just as what D dahlia said, 'a good defense is the best offense'. But you must win this hurdle with much love and patience.

Once you stay firm and after a period of time, she'll not hiss again. She'll respect you. Don't give up. You're doing great and keep asking questions if you have any.
Thank you so much. I had no idea she was trying to establish her position, i thought she was scared. But this makes more sense now that i think about it, they way she kept coming back for more fun cheese balls, but hissing at me every time. This is fantastic advice. I will try this later with our next playtime session. She's a very clever cat and i'm sure she'll understand. I'm excited to see how it goes :hyper:

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Does she swat at you or shrink away, or just hiss? And does she do it all the time or just when you have food for her? If she's just hissing when you bring her food or treats I wouldn't worry about it, most likely it's her way of saying "That's mine, give it to me." Some Cats are just more demanding than others. My foster will give her "angry" meow when it's time to eat and swat at my feet while I'm walking to the kitchen but after she gets her food she's fine.

If she hisses at you whenever you get close to her regardless of whether you have food or not I still wouldn't worry too much about it, she's most likely still a little nervous. Remember you're like a giant to her. Try bringing yourself down to her level, lay on the floor on your back while while you're in the room with her and see if that makes a difference.

If the hissing is accompanied by swats with claws out then you have a problem, but otherwise I wouldn't worry.
She has never swatted at me or growled and i don't think she ever shrank away either. When she hisses, her ears are up and forward. Not down. And it's a 'half-hiss' maybe? Like she hangs her jaw open and then hisses. Hard to explain, but to me it feels like a half-hiss. I'm going to try to tell her a firm 'no' later today (she's sleeping now) when i bring her food and then again when it's playtime. I have faith that it's going to work!

kimmer3d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of my ferals that I brought inside used to hiss at me quite a bit even though he was otherwise comfortable around me. I determined it was because he was nervous and that was just his way of expressing it. He will still hiss at me when he knows he is doing something naughty and I catch him at it. I think he believes that a good defense is the best offense. :)
yeah. I'm a giant human next to her. I'm hoping with time she'll learn to be comfortable.