Catsitting HELP PLEASE

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The family I babysit for on an almost weekly basis called me up yesterday night in a panic because their catsitter bailed on them or something. Now, Winnie (the cat) is a real sweetheart, but she's only about 10 months old and she hasn't been around other cats since she was bought.

My boys are also darlings but they're big and scary to a little thing like her and I had great misgivings about agreeing to catsit. But I was their only hope and I am pathologically incapable of saying no.

So she came today. She was OK for the first few minutes. Then Ghost came to check out what was what and the ridge on her back could have rivalled a stegosaurus. So there she was hiding in a corner and every time the boys came to close she growled and hissed.

Right now I've shut her in my bedroom together with food and litterbox as it was painful to watch how scared she was. The thing is I live in a 2-room flat (that is, I have a livingroom, bedroom, hall, bathroom and kitchen. That's what we call a 2-roomer in Sweden), and I'm afraid that my two boys are going to start feeling cramped. She's going to be here for a month at least.

Is there anything I can do to facilitate her acclimatisation? She's doing much better alone in my bedroom, but it's not an ideal situation.

So yeah, HELP PLEASE!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, you did it backwords, but you did it! She should be in a separate room anyways... I also live in an apartment that sounds just like yours... The new comers go into the bathroom in my house, (for at least a few days, until they are used to the new house scent, etc....) reason being that the other ones like to sleep with me, and I like disturbing their environment to a minimum. The bedroom will work out too, if that is of your preference... I like smaller rooms...

So, in the bathroom I put a litter box on one side, and the food and water on the other - very important to not put it side by side.
I also put a box on the corner, with a cut out on the side for her to go in and hide.

Then spend a lot of time in the bathrrom with her - read a book out loud, give her love... It is going to be far less stressful for her to be there than to be around the house...

The kitties will start to communicate under the door, with their paws.

You can bring her out, on your arms, or in a crate, to meet the other kitties... Slowly... Just let them smell each other...
Once there is no hissing let her explore that house on her own.

Now, since she is only staying a week, I would just let her stay separated the whole time in your bedroom. That will be the least stressful for all...

Next time, offer to pet sit in their house - going there once or twice a day... That is really the best way to do it, far, far less stressful to everybody... IMO a cat should only leave its envonment if absolutely necessary.

Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Carolina! I'm making notes

The new comers go into the bathroom in my house, (for at least a few days, until they are used to the new house scent, etc....) reason being that the other ones like to sleep with me, and I like disturbing their environment to a minimum. The bedroom will work out too, if that is of your preference... I like smaller rooms...
My bathroom is not the biggest (or rather, its layout is... not good) so the food would end up beside the litterbox anywhere I'd put it, lol. Otherwise I'd totally try that. my bedroom is pretty big... She's being kinda calm though, not trying to hide under the bed or anything. She's lying on one of the platforms on my floor-to-ceiling scratching post, and purrs when I pet her. Not totally spaz-free of course, the dear.

The kitties will start to communicate under the door, with their paws.
They can't really communicate underneath the door unfortunately, as there is no space there (drafts in the Swedish winter being not nice). But after a few days I'll bring her out to meet each other like you suggested; I think you misread (is that a word?) me, she'll be staying at least a month.

Next time, offer to pet sit in their house - going there once or twice a day...
I did offer this, but the mother was adamant about me taking her in. It was very hard to communicate as she was already in a different country and all the talking was done through text-messages on our cellphones... Truth is I would only have been able to go there every other day anyway, as I don't live in the same neighbourhood.

Thanks again for all the good advice. Sorry if my reply is too wordy; I'm loquacious by nature!
You're an angel!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might try what is called scent mixing.
It's purpose is to expose each cat to the other's scent.
Use three towels or something soft that you can rub on each kitty.
You can leave the towels where they sleep for a day or rub the towel all over the cat...if they will let you.

Then exchange the towels.
The visitor kitty's towel will go to your two cats and their towels to your visitor.
Hopefully they will get used to each other's scent and that might help with a more peaceful introduction.

In such a small environment, you have a real challenge on your hands.
I am sending calming thoughts to you and your 3 fuzzy room mates.

Also, I saw in your New Cats on the Block thread that BG loves cat nip.
You might try using some of that too.

Hopefully other members will have some more idea for you to try.

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

You might try what is called scent mixing.
It's purpose is to expose each cat to the other's scent.
That sounds interesting *strikes strokey chin pose* I shall try that today methinks. Mah boys usually let me handle them a little as long as I don't do the unthinkable and try and pick them up.

They are more curious than anything else about the mystery guest in the bedroom. She wanted to go outside today so I picked her up and held her as Tuffen checked her out from a distance and before he sauntered off. Ghost came in a little closer and sniffed her tail before prudently deciding to keep his distance for now. No aggressive movements that I could see. She of course did not like the experience so I'll wait with doing that again I think.

I am sending calming thoughts to you and your 3 fuzzy room mates.
Thank you for all the good vibes, I think my cats are feeling them today. Little Winnie is feeling a bit lonely though so I'm going to spend a few hours with her now, reading out loud a little and what not. Thank you!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, you are a good person for doing all this...I might suggest telling your cats that the kitten is there for them, that you love your boys the most in the whole world, and that they're your #1s, and always feed and say hello to them first - no matter how adorable that little kitten is. Also, whenever they're being 'nice' around each other, make sure they all get treats - so they think nice things happen when they're all together. I know it may seem a little silly, but I think it works.

also, keep some toys handy - if you see any of the cats sort of staring or stalking another one, toss a toy in their general direction to break the tension. When I introduced my boy, I kept a pocket full of toys handy at all times.

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Catsitting Update! This will be as detailed as I remember it as I'm still not the best at reading cats' behaviour and thought maybe y'all might give me some input.

I had made an attempt of exchanging towels the night before, but they had been mostly disinterested. So after I came home today I decided to let them meet again face to face.

I tried wrapping Winnie in a towel and holding her but that was teh worstest thing evah apparently as she slipped out of my arms and hid underneath the chair in my bedroom.

The boys were cautious. TG went right into the bedroom and started sniffing and poking his nose into everything, in a very, "Hallo hallo hallo! What's all this then?"kind of way, but slowly and cautiously. Ghost sat by the threshold staring for about eight min, on full alert, as if on guard duty. TG (being TG) soon gravitated toward Winnie's food bowl which he took a bite out off before I said no in my no-voice. (Fear my mighty no-voice, it is powerful
)

Winnie by this time had hid underneath a small, nearby table and clearly thought TG was too close 'cause she started hissing. I made a shhh-noise every time she did, which made her stop but also retreat further away.

TG wandered out into the hall again eventually, where he made some mrrrt-noises (he's the noisy one of my two boys), lay down and started cleaning himself. Ghost decided to put two front paws into the bedroom then stopped to stare at Winnie who had moved back under the chair (which is incidentally closer to the door). Winnie growled a little but stopped after I admonished her.

Ghost eventually made it fully into the room, although he stayed by the door, when TG decided to make a return trip. Winnie escaped back to under the table. About four minutes of staring went on between the three. TG then went into the living room instead where again he made mrrt-noises and even a quiet meow.

I went to pet Ghost which he apparently objected to - he's really a "I come to you, NOT vice-versa" kind of cat - so he left the room too which I took as sign to separate them again.

All in all it lasted about 15-20 minutes. I had a small pitcher of water on hand in case of emergencies, and I spoke in a happy tone of voice throughout it to them. There was no lashing of tails, although Winnie's puffed up a bit.

So what do you guys think? Did I mess up? Is there hope? What?

Originally Posted by darlili

also, keep some toys handy - if you see any of the cats sort of staring or stalking another one, toss a toy in their general direction to break the tension. When I introduced my boy, I kept a pocket full of toys handy at all times.
I had a wand toy that I wiggled in their faces now and again, but they never really stopped staring at each other (except for TG who got distracted, lol). It did break some of the tension though I believe. Thanks for the advice!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds all good. If there was going to be flat out knock down drag out fighting, it would have happened by now I think. Don't leave them integrated when they are alone yet, but otherwise I think things are going to be okay. By the time she goes home they will probably miss her very much.

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Sounds all good. If there was going to be flat out knock down drag out fighting, it would have happened by now I think. Don't leave them integrated when they are alone yet, but otherwise I think things are going to be okay. By the time she goes home they will probably miss her very much.
I hope so Otto!

Catsitting Update!

This morning when I was leaving my bedroom via the door that connects to the kitchen, Ghost decided he wanted IN, and tore past me like a cat on a mission. He hid under the bed while Winnie stood on the nearby chair not quite sure whether to be upset or not. I managed to shoo him out though.

When I got home after work I decided to try another visit. The boys sat outside the open door to the hallway for a while before TG ventured inside with Ghost standing watch. Winnie was very cautious at first, keeping her distance. TG would occasionally sit still for a long time, and Winnie would approach him slowly, then back away.

At one point she got really close and I swear TG smacked his lips at her. She didn't back away immediately, so I'm assuming this isn't a threatening move.

TG then went and - after a bit of a sniff around - sat down beneath the floor-to-ceiling scratching post, and Winnie slowly approached again. TG simply sat there in an upright position, occasionally cleaning himself. When she got a little closer, although still with her hindquarters under the table, he smacked his lips again. Winnie slowly retreated back under the table.

TG decided to go back out of the room then, and Ghost started venturing inside a little. Winnie and Ghost came face to face a few times, but I'm afraid my over-zealous watch made them nervous as I kept moving around them trying to get into a good position to splash them with water in case of dire emergency.

TG came back in and Ghost went back out. It was like tag team wrestling or something. As I decided to open the door into the kitchen as well, TG took up squatting rights in Winnie's cat carrier that stood in front of aforementioned door and made himself comfy in there. This of course made Winnie curious and she repeatedly started to approach, only to back away again.

I moved into the kitchen to ostensibly give them so privacy, all the while keeping an eye on this dance of caution. Unfortunately the angle at which I was standing was a bit off when Winnie finally made it all the way to carrier and for some reason both she and TG jumped and she quickly backed off a bit. But it didn't seem to discourage her and she did this a few more times before she retreated to the bed again.

TG then got up and wandered into the kitchen.... with a curious Winnie trailing after after a minute. She sniffed around the doorway but when TG approached her she first went in under the dinner table and when he then sidled off towards the kitchen's other exit she escaped into the bedroom again.

This, coupled together with me closing the bedroom/kitchen door, caused TG to quickly RUN from the kitchen into the bedroom the other way and stare at her for a few seconds before both boys wandered out of the room again.

Thus ended the Second Meeting of Cats.

I think it's going pretty well! ... I hope...

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WOW! It sounds great. Yes, that lip smacking is a friendly thing. I love reading your descriptions, feel like I am there!

Winnie's people are very fortunate to have you. As is Winnie.

Ps Is Winnie eating okay and having normal litter box habits?

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

WOW! It sounds great. Yes, that lip smacking is a friendly thing. I love reading your descriptions, feel like I am there!

Winnie's people are very fortunate to have you. As is Winnie.

Ps Is Winnie eating okay and having normal litter box habits?
Oh good, that takes some of the worry off me. Thank you, I try to make it as detailed as possible

And there really wasn't anything else I could do than take her in for the month. She's a sweetheart

She is eating properly yes, and using the litter box. She might actually be eating a little more than usual, but it's hard for me to tell seeing as this is the first time I've had to pay attention to her food intake. Not one of my duties when I'm babysitting

Now I'm off to my friend to have a pseudo-celebration of midsummer. No dancing round phallic symbols for us today, thank goodness. But alas, that also means no pickled herring and no sandwich cake... (mmm, sandwich cake...)

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
And now for what ALL of you have been waiting for I'm sure (
) .....

... Catsitting update!

As I am writing this, the door to my bedroom is open. I came home late today after helping a friend look after her kids while her husband was gone, and poor little Winnie had been cooped up all alone all day. She started crying as soon as she heard me come in and the boys where looking at me all accusingly like, "Well? Where have you been all day? Don't you hear that? Fix it!"

I opened the door and a little black nose immediately popped out. Not even the sight of TG and ghost deterred her. It did give her some pause but then she snuck in under a low piece of furniture just outside the bedroom door where the boys don't fit.

TG sniffed at her a little then wandered into the bedroom. Winnie followed soon after.

Now, Tuffen, I've realised, is really a big softie. He might unintentionally bully smaller cat just with his size (I weighted him; he's almost 7kg/15lbs) but he doesn't do it on purpose (unless treats are involved and he finished his before his brother lol). He has made no threatening moves towards Winnie, but calmly lets her approach him much of the time.

Winnie on the other hand, has an unfortunate habit of going into crouch mode, sneaking up, and then pouncing on TG or Ghost, stopping herself before she actually reaches them. TG has swatted lightly at her a few times, and there has been some tail twitching from all parties when she does this. I am more worried about Ghost's reaction to her behaviour than TG's at this point.

Just went in to check on them - TG is under my bed and Winnie is looking at him, her bum sticking out from under the bed, while Ghost watches from the nearby door. And now Winnie is going in under bed, only to back out, move around it to enter it from another end, then hurry out again...

She has yet to really venture outside the bedroom. I guess she feels that's her domain. She did manage to sneak into the kitchen when the boys weren't looking and taste their food though.

I think I'm gonna go shoo the boys out for now and shut the door for the night. Time for bed for me anyways, it's now 1 AM!

EDIT: Well, I spoke too soon or something like that. I shut her in while I went about my before-bed ablutions and she started crying again, poor thing. So then when I tried to enter, she quickly darted out of the bedroom, and though TG was lying close by she showed almost no hesitation as she sniffed around the hall a bit before disappearing into the bathroom.

I tried taking her back inside with me - bad of me I know but after helping taking care of a 2-month old and a hyperactive 17-month old and 7-year old, not to mention I cycled over 5 Swedish miles (roughly 35 American miles) on Saturday, I was feeling a wee bit exhausted - but nope she was gonna be outside for a bit.

So I let her be and went into the bedroom to dress for bed etc. About 8 min later Winnie comes racing into the bedroom lie the hounds (felines?) of hell are after her and hides under the bed. the boys, when I went to look, were sitting beside each other in the living room looking towards the bedroom door with their tails occasionally lashing from side to side.

Sigh.

But the door is open today again, because she is of course feeling very lonely. So far so good though!

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like your furry tribe is working out their current social structure.
Well done...
I think?

....to be continued.

februa

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Everything sounds really good to me, thank you for taking care of Winnie - its gonna be hard to let her go at the end of the summer!

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

It sounds like your furry tribe is working out their current social structure.
Well done...
I think?

....to be continued.
Lol, they're still working on it
But it's going well. Read more Winnie adventures below!

Originally Posted by Februa

Everything sounds really good to me, thank you for taking care of Winnie - its gonna be hard to let her go at the end of the summer!
It is gonna be a bit hard, yes. She's such a cuddly and affectionate little thing. My boys in contrast are pretty independent

Her "freakouts" as I call them are in a totally different class than my boys. Like this morning for example. I had left all the doors open during the night as a test. While I was trying to go to sleep she was zooming all over the bedroom, jumping up on my face, racing along the bed, etc, until I got angry at her and she ran off. Then sometime this morning - don't know when as it gets light out pretty early at this time of year; it could be any time between 4:00 and 7:30 - I heard a dull crashing noise, kinda like a cardboard box falling over or something. I figured she'd discovered one of the many boxes I have lying around and was messing with that, and fell back to sleep.

Big mistake. In my kitchen I have two sets of vertical drawers. On one of them the bottom drawer is actually fake as the pipes running behind it means there is no room for an actual drawer. Winnie had already managed to pull this slat off once yesterday, but I then put it in upside down and it sat much tighter and I figured it was safe.

At her own house, Winnie has a spot under sink that's hers. There's even a hole where she can get in without having to open any of the cupboard doors which means she has a place to escape when the family two-year old gets too close for comfort, seeing as the actual doors are toddler-proof.

So when she found a similar spot in at my house can you blame her for being determined?
The banging noise I'd heard had been Winnie opening the drawers ABOVE that aforementioned fake-drawer. She had then crawled into the one closest to the bottom and out the back of it into the space behind it.

I have no idea how long she'd been in there, 'cos as far as I could tell she couldn't get out again the same way. When I got up at 8:30 I was worried and called out her name. I kept hearing scrabbling sounds behind the cabinets and the open drawers and the copious amount of cat hair in one of them hinted that she'd found a way back in. I opened up the fake-drawer slat and sure enough, there she was, peering out at me from the darkness. She was a little wobbly on her feet the first two minutes she was out then soon after she was back to her normal self again.

In fact ten minutes later she'd managed to tear the slat off and was back inside her little hidey hole. She's a good girl though, she came out fast with a little bit of coaxing. All the drawers on that side are now tied up in each other with string in an attempt to keep her out. See if it that works!

Other than that she seems to be doing fine with the boys now that she's out of confinement. She tends to hiss when she feels cornered and one of the boys approach to sniff her, but otherwise it's going well.

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement and advice! Angels all of you!

Watch this space...

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd leave the slat off and let her use it as a hidey hole. Just another way to make her feel at home!

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

I'd leave the slat off and let her use it as a hidey hole. Just another way to make her feel at home!
I've considered it, but I don't know and I can't see what's behind there well enough to chance it. She might get stuck or something.

Another nightmare is that she would, with her mighty kitten claws, scratch a hole through into the space underneath the sink, which is where her bed and things are in her own home. The company I rent from charge an arm and a leg for things like that.

She's already managed to turn on one of the plates on the electric stove; goodness knows what she can do if she actually TRIES... (TG came and told me however so my flat didn't burn down, lol. TG is such a good boy!
)

trollnystan

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
left them alone for about an hour to visit and go grocery shopping with my sister-in-law and when I came home everyone was still just chillin'. YAY!

Later on I went into the kitchen and TG followed me (hoping for treats) and Winnie followed him. As I stood by the fridge and TG was sniffing the food bowls, Winnie came up along the side of him and they rubbed against each other and sniffed each other's faces. Awwwwwww!

Ghost and Winnie are still a little standoffish although they will sniff each other's faces when meeting in a doorway before moving on.

I've turned this thread into a blog haven't I? Apologies to the moderators!

EDIT: Here's a picture I just took of Winnie! http://s868.photobucket.com/albums/ab249/trollnystan/Cats/?action=view&current=100_1696.jpg

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, it all is going so well! How ever will you part with her when they come home?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your mischief maker, Winnie, is a black beauty.