Cats With Thumbs?

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While we are getting a bit off topic here, I think there is much to be learned from this discussion. However, I do want to remind everyone to post with respect and maturity. While opinions and ideas may differ, one thing always remains constant - What might be right for YOU isn't always right for SOMEONE ELSE.

I have reopened this thread now.

~gf~

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

Just remember they aren't a breed, it's a deformity and I believe no cats should be allowed to be bred that have this fault.
Sam, just for the record, polydactylism is a spontaneous mutation, not a defect. Granted, there exists the possibility polydactyl cats do not meet show standards in certain registries, but it is not now, nor has it ever been a "defect".

In order to understand the difference, one must understand the terminology. In very, very simple terms, a defect is normally not good, mutations can be either good or bad depending (polydactylism is not considered a bad one) and anomolies are exactly that ... a thing that occurs and no one can explain why.

bengalbabe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even if it was a deformity it does no harm to the cat. The cat is not affected one bit by it. I think if you have a problem with one mutation you should have a problem with them all, especially the ones that have mutations that affect the animals health in some way.
I personally don't have a problem with mutations that do not in any way compromise the health of the cat/animal.