Cats Were Blocked From Litter Box!

CatMom59112

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Monday evening my little boy accidentally closed the door to where we keep our cat litter boxes in the basement. This week I started a new job, my kids have been back to school, and it’s been so hectic that I didn’t even notice until this morning. We were so busy and late getting home on Tuesday that I thought I could skip a scoop this one day.

So our 3 cats have been blocked from using their litter boxes for 2 nights and 1 whole day. I feel so awful for them and guilty that I didn’t check it yesterday. They rushed into the boxes as soon as I opened the door this morning. They have never had any accidents before and now I am worried that this may trigger them to not using their boxes anymore.

Before I left for work this morning I noticed 2 poop accidents on our kitchen rug. I did a quick check through the house and didn’t notice anymore accident spots, but I didn’t have time to be thorough. I am hoping it’s all contained to that rug and not our bedrooms.

Any advice on this situation? Will I need to retrain them? Will the old pee/poop spots make them get the urge to go in those spots again?

Hellenww

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm don't an have an answer for you. Use an enzyme cleaner on any accidents so they aren't attracted to those spots. I use this foam type of door stop to keep the door from closing. A piece of a pool noodle at the top would also work. Hopefully your cats prefer their box.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yikes! Things happen though. Especially when you have kids around. I was going to suggest the pool noodle also. That was what we did with the sliding door at my mother's that my DS just couldn't resist! It only took a small section near the top of the door so it wasn't obtrusive looking really.

You can get a black light to look around for accidents. I have an inexpensive flashlight from Amazon that does the job. Looking in the dark with it is the best. Use a good enzyme cleaner on any accidents. That will help discourage repeats. Otherwise I wouldn't worry too much; just keep an eye for a bit.

This is the flashlight I have. It's currently $10 when I look at it on Amazon but it says $8.99 on here...whats up with that Amazon!? :headscratch: