Cats weeing on beds

robyn robin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

I have a British Shorthair male and l am at my witts ends. He keeps urinating on the beds. We are a family of 5 and he is not fussy about who's bed he wees on. It doesn't seem to be alot of wee but l am so sick of washing bedding. I have tried Feliway and that didn't work. The litter tray is cleaned every day and he seems fine using it. I have used a spay that is meant to deter cats and it smells disgusting and he weed this morning about 1 hour after spraying the kids beds. He does not wee anywhere else in the house, just beds. I have tried blocking of the doors and that works until a child accidently leaves it open. I really need some help because l don't know what l haven't tried and l don't want to have to rehome him. He is also a completely indoor desexed cat about 7 months. The vet has also checked him out and there is nothing wrong with him. I remove the smell with Apple Cider Vinigar before washing the beds in eucolyptus oil and OMO.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
You say he is neutered, but still spraying?  Not sure what to make of that.  Usually cats who have been neutered at a young age (5-7 months) will quit spraying relatively quickly.  He may need some firm encouragement to use the litter box in order to break bad habits.

Sorry to say, but it also sounds like you may have a serious clean up job ahead of you.

While apple cider vinegar, eucalyptus, and other similar things may mask the smell, they don't actually break down the enzymes that continue to attract felines to their pee place.  You need an enzymatic cleaner for that.

The other problem is that usually what happens during the cleaning process is that the material (padding, carpet, stuffing, etc.) actually wicks the spot into the dry area, making the spot bigger.  Ever tried to clean a spot off a silk or rayon blouse, and end up with a ring bigger than the initial spot?  yeah.  Same problem.  So, the ring widens, which makes a wider area more attractive to kitty.  The only solution is to soak the entire items, the bedding in this case, with cleaner.

Hopefully the pee has not penetrated your mattresses.  If it has, I would recommend replacing them.  You could try flipping them first, but I wouldn't be surprised if that solution doesn't last long.  We had an issue with our carpets downstairs.  I cleaned them over and over.  Finally I gave up and pulled them up.  I was dismayed to see all the cleaning rings that I had been so sure I had gotten up.  After we pulled the carpets, there were no more issues.

Sorry to be pessimistic on the clean up.  However, if done well and thoroughly, you should be able to live harmoniously with your kitten again. 

scotfold

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mine has started peeing on my bed too! particularly on a specific blanket >< and yes he is neutured.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He may want you to scoop more than once a day.

Has he been to the vet? It might be a medical problem.

Talk to your kids about the importance of leaving the doors closed if that works.  Depending on their age, I'd tell them that if they leave a door open and the cat goes on the bed, that is their responsibility to clean up.

Hopefully others can chime in.  Good luck!

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi there,

I have a British Shorthair male and l am at my witts ends. He keeps urinating on the beds. We are a family of 5 and he is not fussy about who's bed he wees on. It doesn't seem to be alot of wee but l am so sick of washing bedding. I have tried Feliway and that didn't work. The litter tray is cleaned every day and he seems fine using it. I have used a spay that is meant to deter cats and it smells disgusting and he weed this morning about 1 hour after spraying the kids beds. He does not wee anywhere else in the house, just beds. I have tried blocking of the doors and that works until a child accidently leaves it open. I really need some help because l don't know what l haven't tried and l don't want to have to rehome him. He is also a completely indoor desexed cat about 7 months. The vet has also checked him out and there is nothing wrong with him. I remove the smell with Apple Cider Vinigar before washing the beds in eucolyptus oil and OMO.
Have you tried changing the brand of litter you are using? Perhaps he wants something softer. Carefresh is recycled cellulose and is used for pet bedding, so it is really soft.
mine has started peeing on my bed too! particularly on a specific blanket >< and yes he is neutured.
Have you washed the blanket and all bedding in an enzyme detergent? I believe you should be able to get it where you live.