Cats water broke 12 hours ago should I be worried

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat teddybear is almost 3 years old and her water broke yesterday 2:00 pm (March 14) it is now 2:07 am (march 15) 12 hours later, she hasn’t seemed to have any contractions and hasn’t pushed yet. She’ll have little bits of fluid coming from down there every once in a while

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Is there an emergency vet you can call and ask? I think it has been way to long.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat teddybear is almost 3 years old and her water broke yesterday 2:00 pm (March 14) it is now 2:07 am (march 15) 12 hours later, she hasn’t seemed to have any contractions and hasn’t pushed yet. She’ll have little bits of fluid coming from down there every once in a while
It is somewhat worrying, it is.
But we did had forumists where water has gone, but the delivery delayed even days; but everything went OK.

So, make sure where emergency vet is,
if you DO have access to an experienced vet obstetrician its wise to consult him her,
but otherwise, its just to observe closely, but wait and see... Because emergency cesaren takes a toll, and especielly if the kittens are still premature...

Ps. During the time, be sure she gets calcium rich food; whatever you have at hand and she is OK with;
goats milk, youghurt, cheese, kmr, dry food for moms with kittens...

Cant hurt but may help; because low niveu of calcium causes weak labor...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is she acting? calm and friendly, or frantic and meowing? If she is calm it should be alright, the bits of liquid coming out may be mild contractions. Put your hand on her side and see if you can feel ripples or anything resembling contractions. The passing of so many hours is a concern though, I would call a vet when they open and ask what you should do.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats are different than humans. They have multiple water sacs. The kittens are encased in an overall sac of waters, and then each kitten is in its own sac. So, a cat’s water may break, but as StefanZ StefanZ said, it can be hours or even days before labor fully commences.

Therefore, if your cat is not in distress, it’s best to wait it out.

That being said, how is your cat doing now?

T Teddybear123

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is there an emergency vet you can call and ask? I think it has been way to long.
I called the emergency vet and they said they’re not taking an new patients bc the veterinarian is in back to back surgeries so I hoping she’ll be okay till our vet is open she seems okay tho she doesn’t look in pain she’s been her normal self

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But we did had forumists where water has gone, but the delivery delayed even days; but everything went OK.

if you DO have access to an experienced vet obstetrician its wise to consult him her,
but otherwise, its just to observe closely, but wait and see... Because emergency cesaren takes a toll, and especielly if the kittens are still premature...

Ps. During the time, be sure she gets calcium rich food; whatever you have at hand and she is OK with;

i gave her some cheese since it’s her favourite she literally goes nuts for it but she was fine throughout the night she slept with me on my bed but this morning 11 am almost 24 hours later she just had a little more clear liquid come out but she’s not meowing and doesn’t seem to be in pain

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cats are different than humans. They have multiple water sacs. The kittens are encased in an overall sac of waters, and then each kitten is in its own sac. So, a cat’s water may break, but as StefanZ StefanZ said, it can be hours or even days before labor fully commences.

Therefore, if your cat is not in distress, it’s best to wait it out.

That being said, how is your cat doing now?

T Teddybear123
She seems to be okay she’s been laying with my on my bed curled up in a ball I feel like she wouldn’t be laying this way If she was in active labour or in pain she also hasn’t meowed since her water first broke almost 24 hours ago now she’ll purr sometimes tho

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She may be in early stage one labor. It’s infrequent, mild contractions. Cats purr through the pain to comfort themselves. Stage one usually lasts about 24 hours and as contractions increase in intensity, you will see big ripples down her sides. Stage 2 is pushing.

She sounds fine! Wait it out.

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She may be in early stage one labor. It’s infrequent, mild contractions. Cats purr through the pain to comfort themselves. Stage one usually lasts about 24 hours and as contractions increase in intensity, you will see big ripples down her sides. Stage 2 is pushing.

This makes me feel better we’re coming up on 24 hours she still hasn’t had any visible big contractions and still no pushing she’s purring and seems to be happy right now

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hey I just wanna give u an update it’s been 4 days and she still has no babies she is eating and drinking and doesn’t seem to be in pain still there’s no contractions or pushing but there’s still discharge so I’m gonna make a vet appointment but have u experienced this before I’m scared it could be a kitten rotting inside her

Teddybear123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Hey it’s been 4 days and still no babies she’s not contracting or pushing but still has that discharge I have a vet appointment but I’m worried it could be a kitten rotting inside her

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you have a vet appointment. What is the discharge like now?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh my! That is always a concern with unspayed females. I am relieved to hear that she was diagnosed properly and is being treated. She should recover well once spayed and live a normal life. Please update as you can.