cats water and tips or tricks

karmacranes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all my two little explorers have discovered the bath. And love to take a drink from it when im having a bath. Any reason for this? ?

A lot so second part of the thread. Have you successfully taught your little ones to do and tricks? I'm looking to teach my two on a harness so they can go outside safely.

Thankyou all;)

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi all my two little explorers have discovered the bath. And love to take a drink from it when im having a bath. Any reason for this? ?

They're thirsty? 
  It is not uncommon for cats to prefer drinking from running water like from taps/fountains. 

Last edited:

nalacatsmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah not uncommon for cats to like fresh water from a tap.  Mine are both that way.  One gets caught a lot trying to drink out of my water glass even though they have a bowl of the same fresh drinking water. LOL  

We had a pet fountain but the motor busted and we haven't replaced it yet. 

Oh and I have not done harness training on a cat.  No help there.  I sorta don't want my cat to get the idea that outdoors could be fun.  She's not a super high energy breed so I don't bother with it. 

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
All the cats I've had have been interested in the bath and slink about the edges to the extent one of them fell in (not a pretty sight and very messy) but have only dipped paws in, not tried to drink the water.  Possibly because if I have a bath it tends to be hot and involve bubble bath.  I think it would be unusual for a cat to drink hot water but maybe there's something about the metallic taste your cat likes?  Be careful about anything you use in the bath in terms of soaps and oils though as many could be toxic to your cat esp if they have natural oils in.  I swear my guys have all sat on the side thinking how stupid humans are for sitting in water...

With the harness, if you are lucky your two furbabies won't have the normal response which is to 1) try to evade getting it put on and 2) if evasion is unsuccessful lay immediately on the floor and play dead.  I've managed to get all my cats in to a harness of one sort or another clipping first round the neck like a collar and then jacket or strap round the back and ribs.  It helps if you can associate it will treats like getting them to move their head towards a treat held in front of them so they are in a good position to get the collar in place to start with.  It is also best to let them get used to wearing the harness without any lead attached so they walk around freely (or lay on the floor playing dead) and don't associate the feeling of it with being controlled.  Only add the lead once they are comfortable with the feeling of the harness.  

You need to be prepared to go out on demand and stay out as long as , and wherever, they want if you do go down this route as cats will not walk where you want them to, at a pace you want them to, or get tired and want to go home if they are waiting for something interesting to happen.  And if you are unlucky and a large dog comes by and barks at them be prepared to be shredded when you're scaled like a tree.  Oh, and if going out with both of them at the same time do not assume they will want to be going in the same direction....  (been there, done that 
 ).  For information, I don't take Mouse out on a lead as he doesn't want to go, but he will walk about the apartment with harness and lead which I want him to do in case there is an emergency some time and I have to take him somewhere more open and keep him safe without being in a crate.