Cats watching TV

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does your cat watch TV ?  Do you have the Animal Planet channel on in your home ?  Bella & Thunder doesn't have any interest in it at all. I have gotten DVDS from the library that have birds,kittens etc.... I have put a video on the computer and put it in front of Bella and all she does is turn her head. How do you get a cat interested in these things so she won't be so bored ? I want them both to be active ( and yes ,I do play toys with them both ).

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz has NO interest in the television or the fish/bird/cat DVDs.  The only reaction she has if she hears a baby cry; for some reason she really doesn't like that sound.

If you want your cat to be active while you're away, you can try something like a peek a prize type box  or this Turbo scratcher toy.

Ritz entertains herself by watching the wildlife outside; I put out bird seed and nuts.  Charlie the Chipmunk, the squirrels, the new kid on the block Tommy the Turtle, and the occasional fox and deer rile her up, usually in a good way.

By the way the first time I got the Turbo scratcher, she was bored with it.  I got a new one (same model) a few months ago and she is more interested in it.  I had to show her what it does first, though.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My kitties won't watch Animal Planet, but they love Breaking Bad. I guess they take after their daddy :-)
One of my cats has zero interest in television.  The other will watch avidly at times and ignore it others.  For a long time it seemed to me there was no rhyme or reason to when he watched, but then I realized my kitty LOVES dramatic instrumental music.  He'll pretty much be hooked for a whole episode of Game of Thrones based on music alone, but if I put on Animal Planet or even a singing show with non-dramatic music like the Voice, he is like 'meh whatever'.  

Last edited:

demonmommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Demon watches TV with the family sometimes but mostly he likes to watch when I play Bejelewed on the computer. There is a ringtone you can get that is a kitten meowing and Belle can't stand that. She goes to rescue the phone whenever I play it. That is about it for electronic entertainment for my babies. They just play with each other and never seem bored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing Thunder will react to is the phone and answering machine. She will run to the phone and see if we answer it or let it go to message.

ann phoenix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitty that passed at 3 months just loved tv and the computer.  He would lay right news to the computer and watch like a 5 year old kid.

Now I have a 10 week old boy and girl.  The boy watches tv, and the girl just loves the computer.

I find it hysterical...and so cute to watch them watch!

greycat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats, including my RB cats, had/have zero interest in the TV and the computer monitor.

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Both of mine like the tv but not all the time. When frank was a kitten he liked animal planet and cat DVDs. As he gets older he seems less interested. Ava watches it passively but certain music really interests her. For example my mother was watching American idiol and Ava went nuts went one of the contestants sang.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both of mine like the tv but not all the time. When frank was a kitten he liked animal planet and cat DVDs. As he gets older he seems less interested. Ava watches it passively but certain music really interests her. For example my mother was watching American idiol and Ava went nuts went one of the contestants sang.
kitten are more interested as kittens, then they grow out of it  I guess.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Jamie was addicted to the Teletubbies as a kitten (I kid you not!) and would watch anything with dinosaurs or elephants as well as soccer games, provided one of the teams was wearing red jerseys. Mogli shows some interest in soccer, but the only other thing that has attracted his interest so far was a documentary on the Bee Gees last weekend. Just for the fun of it, I found a Bee Gees concert on You Tube and played it for him the next day, and he sat in front of my laptop and watched it for quite a while.

charlottekat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitty sometimes watches T.V with me.  I LOVE the show, "My cat from hell", and she never gets scared from all the cats yowling on television!

fuzz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oreo likes to watch hockey night in canada. All other tv he ignores, except for when he hears a cat.

The computer is another story, he doesn't watch it, but likes to lie on my laptop(think it's the warmth it goves off) and also worms his way between me and it when it's been in use for a couple of hours.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari rarely watches TV, but several nights ago he was most interested in a program about hummingbirds.

sparklexo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nope, she's totally disinterested in the tv... However, she does make me turn it off at 10pm
 She doesn't like the brightness/noise so if I'm watching tv in bed, she'll give me a look like turn that off right now... and if I do, she'll purr and settle back down to sleep. If I don't, she'll glare at me for another few minutes, and if it stays on she'll eventually make a grumpy sound and jump down off the bed and stalk off somewhere. It's funny, but really sad that I actually obey her 90% of the time!

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, they do!  Their favorite shows include South Park, King of The Hill, My Name is Earl... My girls love Charmed because their names are said a lot!  They love The Wizard of OZ and any show with kitty cats in them!  I have a bunch of couch potato cats! LOL!!