Cats & Wall Heaters

canaws

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi All,

I just moved into an apartment with wall heaters and I know that the metal on the heater can get very hot (my brother burning his butt on one as a kid). I don't want my cat to get hurt. Does anyone live in a home/apartment that has wall heaters? How do you cat proof a wall heater?

Thanks!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Self-standing baby gate or fireplace screen perhaps.

ligwa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have wall heaters throughout my house. Two of them get very hot. Don't worry. Your kitty will stay away from the heater. I was very worried too when we first moved into this house but everything has been fine. If it's too hot they don't go too close,.

In my last home I had a wood stove (talk about hot). My two cats would walk behind that thing and just about give me a heart attack. No one ever got burned. Not in 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Kitties are smart.

parsleysage

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Ligwa

In my last home I had a wood stove (talk about hot). My two cats would walk behind that thing and just about give me a heart attack. No one ever got burned. Not in 10 years. I wouldn't worry about it. Kitties are smart.
Same, Ligwa!
Caroline was always running behind the woodstove - it was only about 1 foot or so from the wall. Pumpkin, who is older and we let in a lot more often, would sleep next to the woodstove for a few hours after he came in from the cold and his fur would get so hot! lol!

ducman69

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have heard of some cats even burning their fur. I believe Wesley's hurt nose was from testing the hotness of likely the cast iron stovetop by touching it briefly w/ his nose.