cats waking me up many times at night

snowy13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats. At night I now keep my bedroom door shut. I never did this in the past so I know it's new for them, but it haa been a few months now. I am getting woken up several times at night now by them scratching and pushing on the door. It is mainly one over the other and he always runs to his good bowl. I don't give him any so that he thinks he can do this whenever he wants food, but it has been several weeks and no change. I have tried tape on the door, citrus spray, etc. any thoughts?

txcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You could try a ssscat motion detector sensor spray set up at the door when you go to bed.  It detects motion and shoots a harmless blast of air.  Cats hate the sound.  It kept my 3 one year old cats away from the Christmas tree this year.  I've also seen Jackson Galaxy (animal planet cat expert) use it for the bedroom door at night and it worked.  Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowy13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They wake me up that way too by bating at my face and nose.

Last edited:

barbb

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They sound so cute, the little munchkins! I know though, it can be horrible when you really need your sleep!

If you aren't already doing a play session with them after they eat in the evening (and maybe also before bed if they are not already asleep when you go to bed), you might want to try that, since a lot of kitties are energetic after their meals.

The play session should make them more likely to sleep through the night and they will have sweet dreams about their conquests from the play session LOL. 

My husband and I had the same problem as you and that's what we did. And we also made special beds for them (near where we watch TV after dinner) and got them into a regular routine of mealtime, playtime, then bedtime. 

You might also try getting a food bowl with a timer on it and have it release some crunchies at whatever time they usually disturb you. That way they should go to the food bowl instead of your door.

It is always easier to get them to do what you want by giving them better alternatives. If there is a room near yours available, you could put some cat trees in there and make that their own bedroom.