Cats vs brats

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only suggestion that I would have is that I would have prevented the kids from going into the bedroom with a very firm "No, you are not allowed in that room". If they didn't listen, I would have instantly corrected them. It's your house and they need to learn to respect your rules. My neighbor's girl thinks she has the run of the house and I very often have to lay down my laws to her concerning my cats.

My brother-in-law's family descended on my house a few years back and we warned his 4 (very wild) kids that the cats were fully clawed, and if they chased them, be careful if they catch them cause they will be scratched. The kids chased, caught, got scratched then came crying to us. My husband laughed at them and gave them an "I told you so - you didn't listen to me, you deserved it". Fortunately their father supported our views. They left the cats alone after that.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My boys have the second floor of the house to run to when I have company. All of the kids that come over are told they are NOT allowed upstairs, no uncertain terms. I usually use the fact that my house is about 100 yrs old and the stairs are steep as my excuse.

Once a year I have a friend and her 2 kids as weekend guests. The first time they came over they were told that my bedroom was off limits. That is my cats room and they are not allowed in it. I tack a blanket over the door so the cats have easy access, but its a reminder to the kids. I also told them that if they bother the cats and the cat scratches them, they will get no sympathy, AND they will be put on time out.

This is my cats' home, and if the kids don't respect them, I have no problem putting the kids on time out in another room. If the parents don't like that, then I put the kid in their lap and tell them to deal with it. If the kid goes after the cat a second time, the parents gets talked to by me.

If you don't respect my cats, you aren't respecting my house or me. All my friends know that my cats are my babies and will be treated better than their kids if the kids torment them.

hell603

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bottom line is whoever does not respect my cat (whether adult or child) does not respect me and is not welcome in my home ever!!!!!!

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sicycat, creepyowl, I am right in there with you. I don't even like kids in my neighborhood, and will not have them in my house. There is only 1 friend that a is allowed to bring her kid to my house, because she taught him VERY early that you play gently with kitties if they want to play with you, if not, leave them alone. He is the only child I have ever seen that will sit quietly and read to kitty, even if he is only 2, he still tells them stories, and Fred adores him. They will cuddle on the couch and nap. The rest of my friends can leave their brats at home.