Cats Ungual Crest came off

coraleelulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Today I noticed my cats ungual crest was missing...I have no idea when or how this happened. No blood, she doesn't appear to be in pain, she lets me touch it and she still uses scratching posts etc. My question is, will it grow back? Her nail is still very much there so I have no idea how this happened.

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would imagine it is an old wound or infection that has healed. Cats are VERY good at hiding wounds and pain, so it would be hard to detect. It most likely will grow back in time, injury to that area may result in deformed nail growth, so keep n eye on it. I would inspect it once in a while for any changes, and make a note to ask the vet about it the next time you are in. If it isn't bothering her, it is OK, just monitor for any distress or change in normal habits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coraleelulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much! It's definitely happened within the last few days as it is a hard thing to miss. But will keep my eye on it and see if she shows any other symptoms/irritation towards it. I appreciate your feedback.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

coraleelulu

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update! I think her nail was shedding funny because he paw/claw is completely normal today! Good news :)

I would imagine it is an old wound or infection that has healed. Cats are VERY good at hiding wounds and pain, so it would be hard to detect. It most likely will grow back in time, injury to that area may result in deformed nail growth, so keep n eye on it. I would inspect it once in a while for any changes, and make a note to ask the vet about it the next time you are in. If it isn't bothering her, it is OK, just monitor for any distress or change in normal habits.