elainag

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat stats:

Oliver - male, neutered, 6 years old

Poppy - female, spayed, 5 years old

Clementine - female, spayed, 7.5 months old

So my two older cats, who used to groom each other, snuggle together, play together, etc., are now fighting. I'm fairly certain this is due to bringing in the newest addition Clementine, but it definitely worries me. When I say fighting, though, I don't mean bloodshed or even that horrible screaming cats do, but I'll definitely hear yelps, see fur standing on end, and bits of fur throughout my apartment afterward. I can break up Oliver and Poppy when they do this pretty easily (loud noises, a blanket in between them to snap them out of it), and they seem to only do this at night. Honestly, I could probably pick one up without getting injured (although not dumb enough to try it), as they're not quite that dedicated to their fights.

As far as how they are with Clementine, they play with her, but Poppy hisses at her during play, usually every time they chase each other. Clementine, as kittens do, doesn't bat an eye over this.

Anyway, any thoughts? Oliver and Poppy don't even acknowledge each other much otherwise (which, again, makes me feel guilty because they were friends before Clementine!), but I'm worried it'll get worse. I live in a 1-bedroom apartment, so I can separate them but it's not ideal.

Thanks for any help on this.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am not a cat behaviorist but I had experienced your kind of situation often when I rescue kittens and introducing them to a multi adult cat household. All I can say is that this is a temporary thing. I am not sure but to me it's like a disagreement among the resident cats as to how to "teach" the rules to the new kids. Also, if the youngsters show some sort of "attitude" one adult will treat it as nothing while another will look at it as a threat to the way things are run in the home. 

It seems to me that Oliver and Poppy listen to you as do mine. Keep the "disagreements" under control. Somehow, even the youngster will get the idea and she will cooperate about keeping the peace. 

Also, make sure there are no problems in health issues. Sometimes cats behave more aggressive when they feel one of them is ill. 

As an afterthought, there might be some kind of jealousy in Poppy having another "girl" around. 

Last edited: