cats that fetch.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maia carries around many toys, but her fetching interest is strings, shoe laces, waist ties, strings of purpose that she can re-assign a new purpose in life!

danigirl16003

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Falla fetches and I never taught her how to. One day she was being a spaz and attacking somthing she shouldn't. So normaly when my cats are doing that I look for somthing close to and soft to throw near them so they will stop what they are doing and go check out the thing that landed beside them. Well I didn't have any cat toys near by but I had a plastic bottle cap in my hand so I threw it about a foot from her in her eye line and she grabbed it and started playing with it. A little while later she came up on the couch and droped the cap. I thought it was funny but I thought it was a one time thing. But I threw it again, and again she came back with it. Not right away but after 5 minutes of playing with the cap. I thoguht it was so cute. I would get her to do it when I had my friends over and they would all be amazed by the cat that played fetch. Well cute ended when she started bringing caps that she would steal off the coffe table or trash in and but them on the bed while I was sleeping. At first i would throw them just to get her go away but that was a big mistake. She would keep me awake all night long and if I did finally get some sleep I would wake up with pop caps laying around me, under me and on me.

So think about this make sure you really want your cat to do this becuse cats seem to never understand when play time is over.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Stormie is a fetcher, she just dropped a toy at my feet one day, I threw it and she brought it back! So that is our nightly ritual now, although the toys she wants to play with keep changing! First it was these one jax looking toys for kitties, and then it was the mice, and now it is caps from bottles of water! Though she is a talker and she tells me that she wants to play, and will bring the toy to my feet and meow so cute! But what I do is encourage her while we play, like when she brings it back and drops it I tell her shes so good and pet her! But she is my little fetcher, I started it out at first of throwing the toy down the steps (she was so afraid of the downstairs) and now I have trouble getting her upstairs
and we play fetch anywhere and everywhere through out the house! My dad just noticed the other day that she played fetch he was cracking up, he didnt believe it

magnoliachat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a Peterbald that is like a Lab. You have to hide the toys for her to stop bugging you about throwing them. She puts it right in your hand and jumps to the floor like a dog and waits (looking in the direction of where you are going to throw it). I tell people that come over that they can do it about 5 times and then must hide the toy for her to calm down. She thinks it is the best game ever invented.

If you try to stop while the toy is still out, she will bug you unmercifully. Once it is hidden, she will look for it briefly, but then settle down to sit in your lap.

cats4sky

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i also have a cat that naturally knew how to play fetch with a toy mouse. We call it "mousy". I am sorry tho i do not have any advice on how to train one.