Cats that bring you home animals they have caught?

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Charcoal

I would pet him or her and say good kitty! then let them take it and do what they want with it.
Actually, you have it half right. Pet the cat, praise him, make a BIG fuss even tho you want to jump out of your skin. But don't let them eat it! There are a lot of parasites in the prey can actually make your cat sick.

I have ferals outside that bring me gifts. The first was a bird's wing. The entire time I was gagging and trying to pick it up with a shovel, I was praising Misty. She couldn't understand why I was having a hard time with it. When a feral brings you a gift, you know you've been accepted into the clan.

Sandy

crazy4cats28

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 ferals that brings me lots of "presents" every day. They range from headless mice, squirrels, birds, and lizards. Blackie leaves atleast 3 to 4 daily. She is SO PROUD to bring me presents but it makes my skin crawl to see the half eaten critters. It's funny because if she thinks she has something that is "extra special" she will stand outside the door and yell until I come out to check on her.

G

ghostuser

This lady I work with loves sharing kitty stories with me. She's got a 9 year old tabby who is an indoor/outdoor cat. This sounds so disgusting and disturbing, but one of the stories that just amazed me was of the time the cat spent 14 hours fighting with a groundhog in it's burrow. The field is right next to her house, so she heard the entire thing, but didn't want to get involved in the fight. 14 hours later the cat drags home a full grown groundhog that is about twice her size. She ate the liver out and left the body for my friend.
The other story I loved was when the cat brought home a four and a half foot snake! My cats are so afraid of anything that moves like a snake, I can't get over that this cat dragged one home!

My grandparent's neighbor had a master hunter who used to bring something home from the woods at least every other day. He'd either bring it home alive to play with, or bring it home and only eat a little bit of it.

Oh, and my last cat's brother used to bring my aunt grasshoppers with the bodies chewed off. (He was inbred, and dumb as a hoe handle. Eby managed to get all the brains in that womb.) But that was all. No mice, no other kinds of bugs. Just a million grasshopper heads all over her patio.

I've always thought cats hunted because that's how they feel they're giving their part in the human-feline relationship. You provide companionship, and they thank you by offering you food. I'm just glad I've always had indoor cats. I remember when I used to deliver papers, and on Sunday morning I hated walking onto porches and discovering what people's cats had brought home. I doubt I'd have the stomach to bury it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just surprised Dushka coming in the cat door with a vole in her mouth. I intercepted her on the stairs, we had a tussle, the vole escaped and I put Dushka on the balcony while I looked for it. It of course is nowhere to be seen and there is a frantic angry cat giving me evil looks and trying to get back in. When I gave up trying to find it I let her back, and she went into a frenzy of looking, while I tried to follow her, but the vole is naturally lying low. I am not sure if I want her to find it first or me! And I don't know if it is injured so it may be dead when we do get it. As if I don't have enough to worry about.