Cat's tail severed in door

lmj1959

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad to hear Max is doing well.

This just happened to our cat Hunter.  We brought him home from the vet yesterday after they removed about 5" of his tail.

He seems to be OK, but has not eaten since coming home.  Also, he can't meow, only a rough bark kind of sound.

What was your cats behavior when he came home?  

I'm not so concerned about the tail, but I'm afraid that the intubation during surgery may have damaged his larynx or trachea. 

Thanks

kellyanna

KellysCatShelter.org
Kitten
Purraise
I just stepped on my cat Fluffy Monster's tail after leaving my room and he took off, leaving the half inch tip of his tail under my foot. It is bleeding, but he appears to be playing normally 30 minutes later. I have a vet apointment at 8am anyway for a 4mo th young rescue cat to get spayed and she might need a pregnancy termination. I am not crying, he has a break about 4 inches up from that about half way down his long tail. He is 8 months old and big. I might take him in also. I really can't afford this!!!! If I had a time machine! Deep breath! Ommmmmmmmmm meditate, breathe deep, he seems to still have feeling all the way down, so It may be a case of wait and see, but they can give me free antibiotics, at the least. I love him and he will have a good life with me, he also lost some furr where I applied a spot on flea treatment on his shoulder. Poor baby. He is grooming now. Awe! He was sitting by my door and I told him"OUT!" but he didnt get up and my hallway is so small I tried to seltep around him, but his fluffy fur was under my foot. Then he bolted! Lord! My babies love me. Thank God for them, they are my life and purpose. He looks like a black lion... all black with a grey Mane like Lion King. He is Purrrring and leaning on me as usual.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just stepped on my cat Fluffy Monster's tail after leaving my room and he took off, leaving the half inch tip of his tail under my foot. It is bleeding, but he appears to be playing normally 30 minutes later. I have a vet apointment at 8am anyway for a 4mo th young rescue cat to get spayed and she might need a pregnancy termination. I am not crying, he has a break about 4 inches up from that about half way down his long tail. He is 8 months old and big. I might take him in also. I really can't afford this!!!! If I had a time machine! Deep breath! Ommmmmmmmmm meditate, breathe deep, he seems to still have feeling all the way down, so It may be a case of wait and see, but they can give me free antibiotics, at the least. I love him and he will have a good life with me, he also lost some furr where I applied a spot on flea treatment on his shoulder. Poor baby. He is grooming now. Awe! He was sitting by my door and I told him"OUT!" but he didnt get up and my hallway is so small I tried to seltep around him, but his fluffy fur was under my foot. Then he bolted! Lord! My babies love me. Thank God for them, they are my life and purpose. He looks like a black lion... all black with a grey Mane like Lion King. He is Purrrring and leaning on me as usual.
How much fur and skin came off? Can you see bone?

I would really recommend you take him in. He will need the wound clean at least, and probably antibiotics.

kellyanna

KellysCatShelter.org
Kitten
Purraise
I stepped on my 8 month old male cat Fluffy Monster's very pouffy tail hair and he took off and left behind his skin and yes, exposed 1.5 inches of bone. It bled slightly. The next day, I rinsed it under cool tap water once per day. I allowed him to groom his tail. He is acting 100% normally. His vet appointment is 6 hours from now, and I havn't been able to see much more as his hair is covering it and possibly kinda stuck. I saved the furrball, and could feel all the skin insid. The very tip of the tail has a little ball like a ball point pen. I do not want to amputate ---- however his tail does droop from halfway down so he may have a mid point injury from the force. I love him. Awe. I called the vet and they scheduled him 2 days out. I use Cats Exclusive in Margate FL and theornprices are the best. I will be putting the fee on a credit card and make payments. Whatever ot takes, he is my life. I hope this never happens to anyone else. Be careful, step around cats slowly. I was barefoot. Thing is, he wasnlaying next to the carrier invthe hallway, and it was kinda cluttered and I regret so much. However, he cuddles with me as usual and I see another cat in my area with a partial tail. He will survive. Fluffy Monster is so handsome! He is my pride and joy! It is kind of like how lizzards tails will snap off. Poor baby bear. I will update tomorrow after the vet. Awe, my love.

bengalcatman

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lilia, a rescue Bengal, came with a little crooked and broken stub tail. We don't know the history on her missing tail. However, not having a tail does not cause her any distress and she seems as agile as any cat.

When Lilia plays with our other Bengal (Makena,) he will sometimes give a quick bite to her little tail, which REALLY makes her mad. Chaos usually ensues for a few minutes with lots of hissing and yowling.... until they both get tired and wind up taking a nap together. 

kellyanna

KellysCatShelter.org
Kitten
Purraise
So today I took in Rose Siracha and she was spayed and small ear notch, and talked with the Vet Technitian about Fluffy Monsters tail. Dr. G will probably treat him on Monday or Tuesday. I couldn't manage 2 cats in carriers and I have school this weekend. Fluffy is doing the same, his tail droops down but he can move it and flick it. I trimmed some of the excess hair at the end. They are going to give him bandage, wound cleaning, antibiotics and pain meds. I hope he doesnt loose any part of his tail, but everything I have read is recommending partial amputation for a degloving injury.
Awe My Baby. We snuggled this afternoon, and he is so handsome. I will post photos soon.