Cats Suddenly Went Bald Around Their Eyes

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there!

I have two adult cats (one 6 and one 1 1/2) and just recently adopted a kitten. My cats have all been in good health up until this afternoon. After I got home from work today, I noticed both my adult cats were completely bald above and around their eyes. Daisy (the 1 1/2 year-old) was completely bald around the eyebrow area up almost to her ears on both sides of her face, while Midna was bald only around the one eye, but a larger area of skin was hairless. Midna's hairline has a bunch of scabs while Daisy's is pretty scarless, though her skin looks dry. The kitten seems unaffected by this issue.

I am panicking here. As far as I could tell, when I left for work this morning they were fine. Should I be worried? I made a vet appointment for tomorrow, but should I take them to an emergency clinic tonight? Should they even see a vet tomorrow or should I wait it out, my mom thought I was being a little drastic with making a vet appointment for some missing fur.

They seem otherwise fine and aren't itchy or anything. Daisy seems a bit grumpier than usual, but that's really the only other change I can discern from them.

Does anybody know what this could be?

Edit: after examining the kitten a bit closer it appears he has one bald toe on the back foot...

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe have the vet check for fleas, ear mites, or mange? Let us know how it goes at the vet tomorrow.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
It's not an emergency, but they should be seen by a vet. It's quite possible that the kitten has something like ringworm and has infected the others.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riahf

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All! Thank you so much for your responses and help. The vet thinks they most likely have ringworm, though we have to wait for the cultures to come back to know for sure. Treating them is going to be an ordeal, but at least it's not something worse.
Thank you for your help!

BeAtCause

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hope all is well. I had the same think happen and it was ringworm. My only advice is not to overdo the treatment meds for it. I gave it as prescibed and my babys skin became scaley scanby and painful. It will run its course. Just avoid contact with other cats and kids. Best wishes.