Cats suddenly peeing everywhere-please help!!

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I just found this site and hope some more experienced cat owners can help me.

I have 2 neutered male cats who bonded in foster care and have been with my family for 8 years. They act like toddlers and have a very spoiled, stable life--no new environment, babies, litter or food, other animals, etc.  And I am a student who is home with them all week.  They share a place to sleep, a huge litter box (cleaned several times a day) and a food and water dish.  We have tried to give them separate space and dishes, but they end up sharing everything.

Over the past week, we have been finding pee on blankets, clothes, towels hanging vertically or on the floor.  And, recently, a new spot: the couch. 

Regan usually pees on my clothes and Kruger sometimes pees on my mom’s towels hanging over the tub as Kruger likes the tub and Regan is more attached to me and my room.  This was quite rare, though.  Regan's pee smells like pee and burning rubber--very pungent!  Kruger's is very faint, like you can’t smell it until your nose is in it and is almost a mildew smell.

Here’s the thing: For the 3rd time in 3 days, we have found a spot on the couch--where the cats never lay or have ever peed on as they are not allowed on it--soaked with a puddle and splashes.  Kruger is always in the vicinity but his paws are dry and Regan is always found somewhere else with his back paws wet.  But the puddle doesn’t have a smell nor do his paws.  And he is the cat with the stinky pee.

What is going on????  Kruger had a bladder infection years ago and was sickly, in pain and peeing tiny drops in front of us like a cry for help.  The cats seem as healthy as ever, so it doesn't seem like an infection.  I have to keep them locked up as I just left them alone for 15 minutes and the wet couch episode was repeated.

The only thing that did “change” was a guest staying with us for 2 days.  I was out a lot or talking with her and didn’t pay attention to the cats like I usually do.  Are they made at me?  I made a vet appointment, even though I don’t think this is a health issue, but I also don’t know which cat to take in as they are both doing this.  Is it a territory issue?  Why now, after 8 years?  Is it really pee?  Since Kruger likes laying on the back of the couch, is it Regan's way of telling him to back off?

I appreciate any insight as I hate to keep them locked up, but the second I turn my back they pee :( 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome and I do hope that we can be of some help and support. If anything - lead you in the right direction to get to the bottom of this very frustrating issue. Cats usually don't start peeing out of the litter box because they are mad at their guardian. It is usually a stress issue of some sort or a medical related problem. You mention that Krueger once had a serious and painful infection so that is where I would start. I would get Kruger in for another check-up and suggest a Urine Sensitivity Culture test which is more thorough and takes a few days to get the results back. Have you actually witnessed both cats peeing/spraying out of the box. Usually with a bladder infection, you will see the puddles and the cats will pee on soft items such as clothes or towels on the floor and even cool surfaces such as sinks and tubs. A marking behavior would be the walls or hanging towels. You are noticing both spraying and puddles, correct? My only thought would be that Kruger may be having an bladder problem again and Regan is going around marking because Kruger is having these accidents too.

Also - did the peeing problems begin after the two guests stayed over? Could it be that they have cats and their clothes/suitcases had a cat smell to them thus sending Kruger and Regan into territory overdrive? I know this is the most frustrating and challenging problem to have as cat parents but I am thinking you will be able to get to the bottom of this and I hope the following comprehensive and informative article will offer you some more possible scenarios and things to consider. The article also links you to many other related articles to consider. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/litterbox-problems-in-cats-the-ultimate-guide

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Feralvr, thank you for the response!

I apologize for not being clear.  The incident had just happened again and I was typing a mile a minute. To clarify, there was one guest and, yes, she has two cats--male and female.  The day after she left, I was at my computer and noticed Kruger jumping down on the other side of my bed where I had made a pallet of blankets since my mom was sleeping in my bed at the time.  Seconds later he left.  That night I felt the wetness and smelled his pee, but it was too late to do anything about.  The next morning before I could clean it, Regan also peed on it and I caught him jumping up on my bed leaving wet paw prints and smelled his pee over Kruger's.

Krugar also peed on a blanket they share, which has been shared for months, and Regan peed on the new one that replaced it the next day.

Other than that, no, I haven't "seen" them actually squat or spray.  Also, again my mistake, the couch had a puddle as it is faux leather and splashes of what I am assuming is pee like he is trying to flick it off his paws.  But it is not "spraying" more like he is trying to get it off himself and splashing in it. 

When Kruger had the infection, he was miserable--losing weight, straining to pee in front of us but only drops came out.  This is full on puddles.  They'll pee constantly in the litter box all day, but I keep it clean, then they'll do this "on the side". I will talk to the vet about an infection but it seems to be more like a competition.  How would I discourage this if it isn't health related and is territorial? 

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sounds like this all began immediately after your guest left. I can only assume that her belongings smelled strongly of her own two cats and for some reason or another, your two cats began this peeing fest. :( Still - not a bad idea to check up on Kruger since you are thinking he was the first to have an accident on those blankets. Then you noticed Regan following suit. Try to get a urine sample. I can usually slip a large plastic spoon under my cat's urine stream while he is going and then I transfer the urine into the smallest Glad Mini-Round container and then put it in the fridge till I can get the sample to the vet the same day. Some cats may not allow you to do this but my cats (:lol3:) are so used to me fussing with them all the time that they don't even really notice. You want a sterile sample though for the Culture. It has to be sterile and means the sample has to be caught mid-stream and not contaminated during or after transfer. Otherwise - the vets can go into the bladder directly to aspirate urine - which is really the only way to get a truly pure sterile sample. But, I found doing it at home with this method is much safer, less stressful and easier on the cat if you can get the sterile sample at home.

To discourage the cats from going back to those spots. Don't leave out any blankets, throws, or other. Place small items on top of the areas where the cats have been going such as a chair, an upside-down turned laundry basket, something of that sort. Yes - inconvenient to do but it is only temporary till they get back on track. You can also line the areas with tin foil - taping the foil down, upside-down turned pieces of plastic carpet runners ( they have little spikes on the bottom), OR even try strips of sticky paw tape. If it is just a couple of areas then this process will be easy.

Make sure you have multiple litter boxes right now even adding another large open box. Try using Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract litter in the new box too. This may be just enough to get their brains on the new box with the tempting smelling litter to pee in so they forget about the bed/couch. You can even add this to the other litter boxes if it is clumping litter I SWEAR by this stuff. You can add 1/4 (appx.) and mix lightly into the top of the clumping litter. Cats go pee crazy for this stuff - a natural herbal attractant.

OH - do make sure you read through the link I posted above to the great article. ALSO - this http://www.thecatsite.com/a/how-to-remove-cat-urine is VERY important - and is also included in the Ultimate Guide but wanted to add it separately here. Must clean up the urine smell properly.

I do hope some of this helps. I always dread hearing stories like this as it is a real nightmare for us when this behavior begins BUT it is not impossible to fix. :nod: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much!!! Lol my cats are used to me messing with them too so I'm sure I could get a sample.  Your advice and articles are very helpful and I will follow them.  My stepdad has been gone for months and returned home last night to notice Regan was "skinny".  Which is unusual as he is 14 pounds! I think you are right that this is a health issue, which I dismissed as I am around them so much I didn't notice the weight change but was only looking for past signs of sickness like being miserable and lethargic. He seems "healthy" in attitude but did not pee at all in the litter box last night--unheard of! It seems if he or Kruger is sick and peeing, and then they smelled other cats, they could have gone into a major territory battle too. They also had colds a few weeks ago and Regan had a bacteria infection and needed antibiotics so maybe that didn't flush out of his system or something...

Thank you again for all of the help and encouragement!! I am so glad I came here and will read through all the links with my family so they understand.  I know this is probably easy to resolve once we know what path to go down and you have definitely pointed me in the right direction.  Have a great week!!

snuggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there, I'm new too, but I had to chime in on this one. I definitely second the suggestion that one cat is urinating outside the box due to UTI, and the other is following suit as marking.  For what it's worth, one day last week I found one of my cats peeing in the tub but was otherwise normal and seemed healthy, good appetite, etc. I didn't bring him to the vet until I realized he had lost a bit of weight and only then I got concerned and brought him in.  I just put him down a couple days ago; he actually had pyothorax and a severe secondary UTI and went downhill in a matter of a couple days.  It was extremely advanced at that point and he was septic all over, but I would have never known all this was brewing 2 days before, he was acting totally normal.  I don't wanna be a doomsdayer here but do follow up with your vet for sure! Not saying your cat likely has something as severe as mine, but it just goes to show that they can be seriously ill and hide it so well (especially a UTI, they can brew for a while before symptoms arise) they show no outward signs.  Good luck!

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Snuggies, I almost cried at your post. Thank you for responding! I just got back from the vet to find Regan has diabetes. I am so sorry for what you went through with your cat. Normal glucose is between 70-100 and his is 500! We got him special food, but it's only expected to lower it to 450 if it works. Otherwise, I would have to stick him once a day to test his glucose then stick him twice a day with insulin and have him regularly seen by the vet. Although the dedication and money will be a lot, I don't care. I do care about seeing him in pain. He is my best buddy and such a sweet and still young guy that I can't imagine losing him... But I would rather he go peacefully than to see him suffer. You are right: he seemed fine and I would never have seen this coming. I am just worried because the other cat has some of the same symptoms. I have only lost a bird when I was little and no one else, so this is rough.

I'm sorry for your loss and appreciate all of the help. Thank you guys :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Snuggies, I almost cried at your post. Thank you for responding! I just got back from the vet to find Regan has diabetes. I am so sorry for what you went through with your cat. Normal glucose is between 70-100 and his is 500! We got him special food, but it's only expected to lower it to 450 if it works. Otherwise, I would have to stick him once a day to test his glucose then stick him twice a day with insulin and have him regularly seen by the vet. Although the dedication and money will be a lot, I don't care. I do care about seeing him in pain. He is my best buddy and such a sweet and still young guy that I can't imagine losing him... But I would rather he go peacefully than to see him suffer. You are right: he seemed fine and I would never have seen this coming. I am just worried because the other cat has some of the same symptoms. I have only lost a bird when I was little and no one else, so this is rough.

I'm sorry for your loss and appreciate all of the help. Thank you guys :)
I highly recommend that you visit FelineDiabetes.com and post on the board there. While you are welcome to post about yoru diabetic cat here on TCS, you will be able to get more in depth help and advice from the FDMB board

Diet alone doesn't help most diabetic cats. Both insulin and diet are needed in the beginning. The sooner you start insulin the greater the chances of remission are, although it also depends on the cat's pancrease ability to start producing more natual insulin. It's not unusual for a cat diagnosed with blood glucose levels in the 400+ range to go to down normal levels within a few weeks of starting insulin and the right diet.

Oh, and you don't need the prescription food,  dry or canned. You can feed low carb commerical canned food such as Nature's Variety Instinct and Fancy Feast Classic / Gourmet, among other brands. The FDMB members can help you with diet.

Last edited:

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LTS3,

I was convinced this was a death sentence. I never would have thought this can be treated and even managed, like you suggested, with proper diet. Thank you for all of the info, including the part about not needing prescription food. This gives me hope. I will definitely check out the link! Me and Regan thank you :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

LTS3,

I was convinced this was a death sentence. I never would have thought this can be treated and even managed, like you suggested, with proper diet. Thank you for all of the info, including the part about not needing prescription food. This gives me hope. I will definitely check out the link! Me and Regan thank you :)
Diabetes IS NOT a death sentence. It is very manageable in cats, just like it is for Humans. Some vets just aren't very familiar with treating diabetes and may discourage an owner from doing anything for treatment other than feed prescription food. Other vets just want you to spend $$$ on prescription food and expensive (and inaccurate) in office blood glucose curves and other testing. The FDMB board has members from all over the world so there is likely someone there who lives in your general area and who can suggest a better vet if you feel that you need one. I used two vets before settling on a third vet who I felt I could work with on managing my cat's diabetes. I still use the same vet now for my current two cats.

Definitely check out FelineDiabetes.com and join the message board there
I found the board extremely helpful when my previous cat (now at the Bridge) was diagnosed as diabetic and got a lot help from the members there about the specifics of using Lantus and Levemir insulins. Of course the vet was a huge help, too, but in his own words, I was doing a better job managing my cat's diabetes and being proactive in his care than he ever could  provide
  My diabetic never got off insulin (some just don't) but he was pretty well managed on insulin and diet.

Last edited:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw poor little Regan!! Sounds like he was quite ill a few weeks back too and now this explains a lot about the excessive pee spots and Regan's wet back feet. His urine was so diluted from drinking a lot of water and that is probably why Regan's urine didn't have that strong smell you mentioned earlier. I am glad that you took Regan to the vet. Sometimes when we see our cats everyday we do not notice a slight weight loss and it is usually when someone comes around and points it out such as your step father who had been away. Diabetes is very treatable and I hope that Regan soon feels much better.

Do join the FelineDiabetes.com message board that LTS3 posted above; here are a couple more articles as you begin to research on Feline Diabetes and how treatable it truly is: http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introduction-to-feline-diabetes
http://www.thecatsite.com/a/a-feline-diabetes-story

Please do keep us updated and mega vibes for both Kruger and Regan. That Regan begins to feel much better now that you have a diagnosis. :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

Last edited:

snuggies

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Glad you got to the bottom of it! he probably felt pretty rotten, that explains alot! best of luck going forward

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone! LTS3, my mom went to a different vet and felt very at ease with her.  Regan will see her Thursday to start treatment.  The clinic we went to was very transient with different vets every time. Last time, they were on it; this time the inexperienced tech couldn't get a temperature and Regan was extra miserable as she poked and prodded him. This new clinic is like a spa and they also gave him antibiotics just in case he does still have an infection. He really perked up the last few hours tonight and was back to his sassy self :) The links and forum have been helpful as well, thank you!!!

Feralvr, funny you mentioned that... It was not until we told the vet he was peeing "water" that it resonated.  We thought we would sound crazy but that was what got his attention and he recommended bloodwork. Thank you for the links as well! The behavioral info worked too because we gave him treats and praised him for using the litter box. He tried to jump on the couch twice but by the end of the day was using the litter box then waiting for his treat lol.

Thank you, Snuggies for the good luck. He was pretty miserable so it's good to see him perking up. 

Regan and I cannot thank you all enough! I was crying so hard on the way home and now I can't stop smiling. I know now he'll be okay :)

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Feralvr, funny you mentioned that... It was not until we told the vet he was peeing "water" that it resonated.  

Regan and I cannot thank you all enough! I was crying so hard on the way home and now I can't stop smiling. I know now he'll be okay :)
:nod: I had an inkling that the pee sounded way to diluted - the way you described it and had no strong smell. A good first clue that something is up and needs checking. I am SOOOOO glad that you are smiling now. :D :D :happy3: And Regan too. :nod: No doubt he will soon be on the mend and back to his good litter box manners. I am glad you got to the bottom of the issue. :bigthumb: :hugs: Do keep us updated. We care!! :heart2:

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, everyone. I thought I would give a final update. You were all so helpful in advising me what to do with Regan. I will stop here so I don't come off as a nutcase lol. I was grieving so hard this morning thinking I had to put him down. As a last resort, I decided to make a detailed post to the feline diabetes board you all recommended and had my mom contact the foster lady who gave us the cats. She said her dog had the EXACT symptoms and now leads a great life--and even runs to the room and waits for its insulin! All symptoms went away with treatment. My mom and I really sat down and watched some videos about giving insulin and found it was not as scary/traumatic as we thought. We will take him to the vet to get insulin in the morning instead and, if needed, keep looking until we find the right vet who won't make it seem like such a death sentence. I agree with someone on the diabetes forum who said if you are hesitant, they will make it sound worse than it is. I agree that the vets were pushing us to get rid of him, but it's not that we weren't committed; we just didn't have enough information! He seemed to be deteriorating so fast from my initial post I thought it was too late to try. 

I apologize again for my freak out and want to thank you all for your help and directing me to the diabetes forum. The people there are equally as kind and offered to help me as he begins treatment. As far as the liver, that could correct itself and they said the teeth won't be so bad either. I am so glad I came here and reached out more before it was really too late for Regan! One lady said her cat was in the high 600s glucose wise and her cat is fine now. I believe the same for Regan. He is too young and strong and has been acting more like his old self today. I know these are only "bursts" but believe he can get his strength and vigor back with proper care, which I am dedicated to give!

From me and Regan... THANK YOU!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry
I hope you were able to join the FDMB baord and at least gotten some help there on how to manage Reagan's diabetes since you last posted here on TCS. Helping Regan to the Bridge is the kindest thing you can do for him if his health is very poor and treatment may not work. Is he DKA (diabetic ketoacidodis)? 

aj42614

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, he is and also has some liver damage--but the vet said until they get his diabetes under control they can't even think about it, then they would have to fix his teeth. So he would have a lot of vet visits ahead of him. I read through all the posts and scrutinized every article, forum and thread I could find on that site and others. I just can't bring myself to keep sticking him and risk the side effects that might come with insulin. He is now having very runny, putty-colored poop. He will rally for a bit in the morning and by the end of the hour kind of stumbles and needs to collapse against a wall to lay down. The vet would help us with the insulin, but in a respectfully subtle way let us know Regan will have a long, possibly miserable road ahead of him. I don't want to make him suffer any more than he is. This just happened so fast for me but I'm sure it has been much longer for him to deal with. I'm spending the whole day with him and taking lots of pictures! Thank you for your support :)