Cats suddenly jumping the fence

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a fenced in yard with a 4 foot tall tall chain link fence surrounding my back yard. I have 5 cat's......4 are purebred Ragdolls and on Siamese mixed rescued cat. I have given the cats an open door wall for the last 1 year at all times except winter while I am home only. All cat's have been angels and staying inside of my own yard. Within the last 3 weeks here.....I have had 2 Ragdolls finding out that they can jump over the 4 foot fence and escape toward the school behind my house or into my neighbors yards :angry2: I am home at the time and quickly run outside.....once they see me....they quickly jump back into my yard as the know that they are NOT allowed outside of my yard. Today a 3rd Ragdoll jumped into my neighbors yard and I quickly ran out and busted him bigtime. He was embarrassed and quickly jumped back over the fence into my own yard along with my oral disciplinary yelling at him NOOOO..... NOOOO and clapping my hands. My cats know where they live and would not likely get lost as they are very smart. What else can I do outside of building a taller fence which I cannot afford at this point?? I never had a problem before the last 3 weeks. All cat's are either spayed or neutered. :nod:

Last edited:

jmljml19

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
have you noticed if they are stray cats around your yard, your cats could be attracted to them marking around the fence. I saw on a website a couple things you could try to deter them away from the fence. either pour chili flakes around the perimeter, or put some vinegar or some lemon or orange juice in a spray bottle and spray everywhere you don't want them to go since they apparently don't like the smell of any. hope something helps

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
have you noticed if they are stray cats around your yard, your cats could be attracted to them marking around the fence. I saw on a website a couple things you could try to deter them away from the fence. either pour chili flakes around the perimeter, or put some vinegar or some lemon or orange juice in a spray bottle and spray everywhere you don't want them to go since they apparently don't like the smell of any. hope something helps
No stray cats are seen. All 5 of my cats are either spayed or neutered at least 5 years ago. My cats are only allowed outside from about 8:00am to 9:00 pm only :rub:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

slave2_ragdolls

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yea once they know they can do a thing...they will keep doing that thing. :nod:

No need to build a new fence, but there are fence toppers you can add to your existing fence. Something like this http://www.catfencein.com/
Thank you so much for the link........If you watch the video....you pretty much need to be a scientist to figure out the installation. Thanks anyway!

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There are other ways to add fence toppers, that was just an example.
As long as it is angled in, like what you see on prison fences, minus the barbed wire of course

This is your best bet if you want them to stay in your yard, and not have to buy a new fence. I'm not sure even a new fence would keep them in now. Cats are good climbers.

You could also make them enclosure instead, but may be more expensive, I don't know.