cat's stool is black for months

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi, i would like to know if this is normal or not, i have 10 months old domestic cat with black fur, weighing around 9 pounds, she's completely healthy and still gaining weight 300-400gr the past 3 months after getting spayed but her stools has been black since april after the medicine the vet gave for diarrhea and fever, she's full of energy and eat normally, we haven't get back to the vet since because she's as healthy as i hope she was (never throw up or has diarrhea since april, just black stool), but i just worried that there may be some intestinal bleeding because of the color of her poop as i look up on the internet what the black color stool means

Attachments

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What food is she eating? Her poo color would be similar. When my cat was on zd it almost looked black

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would call your vet up. You should be able to bring a stool sample down without having to bring in the cat just yet. They should be able to test it for blood cells.

Is it possible her food or treats have a food coloring in them?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What food is she eating? Her poo color would be similar. When my cat was on zd it almost looked black
she eats some royal canin aroma exigent but also some steamed mackarel/chicken, she doesn't really like wet food but currently into some tuna flavor the past few weeks

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What medicine was she given and is she still taking it?
i don't really know what medicine it was because the vet also mixed it with some vitamin, antibiotic, but it sure is so bitter because she was foaming after i gave her the medicine

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
she eats some royal canin aroma exigent but also some steamed mackarel/chicken, she doesn't really like wet food but currently into some tuna flavor the past few weeks
There is beet pulp in that RC food. That might be causing the black color.

I can’t tell from that picture if that’s tarry or just fresh. Some old black poop post that came up here in a search said, “if it isn’t tarry, you needn’t feel sorry.”

I would still bag up a poop and bring it to the vet. Better safe than sorry.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This isn’t to replace bringing a stool sample into the vet...

But something crazy you could try yourself is have a serving or two of beets and see if it doesn’t darken your own poop. 😹💩

I’m thinking if there was actual bleeding going on for months, you would have seen other signs like lethargy, weakness, failure to grow, etc. I’m not a vet though. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I asked the vet about hard, black poop and took a few when Belle went for her check up. Inside the poop was cat fur. Vet said it's normal and healthy for cats to pass fur through pooping.

Belle is fed wet & raw and is given plenty of water.

However, to be on the safe side, call your vet.

azzhrndr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This isn’t to replace bringing a stool sample into the vet...

But something crazy you could try yourself is have a serving or two of beets and see if it doesn’t darken your own poop. 😹💩

I’m thinking if there was actual bleeding going on for months, you would have seen other signs like lethargy, weakness, failure to grow, etc. I’m not a vet though. 🤷🏼‍♂️
hahaha i know that 😂 i asked the vet about it just now (i'm getting the other cat checked up because she keep vomiting) and the vet advise me to give her some dewormer first and see how it is the next week, he's not really concern about it tho because the cat is doing just fine even if she has black stool, thank you for the input 🙏🏻 😊