Cats started panting like dogs

kittady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats outside my house in s cage together. Its been so humid lately that I've had to put towels at the sides of the cage to give them some shade from the sun. As I was fixing and cleaning their interior, I noticed both my cats started panting like dogs, their breathing fast and they're lazier than ever. Is this a normal response to the humidity? What can I do (at home) to make them more comfortable?

P.S. They aren't regular house cats because my mom doesn't like having animals running around the house (but it was nice of her to have a cage built for them so they don't become ferral and wild) but I do let them in my room once in a while.

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The cats obviously got too hot and the towels over the cage may have shaded them but they also restricted air flow.  Cats will pant when they are overheated, and it isn't a good sign.  The cage should not be in the sun at all and you shouldn't restrict the air flow with towels.  If you can't get it out of the sun, then build shades around it, by using beach umbrellas or regular umbrellas placed so as to create shade.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cage is all grill so I think the airflow is just fine. The cats get winded nicely enough. I recently gave them chunks of ice to cool them off. They seemed pretty happy with it and cooled off alright. Is that okay?

kittady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And I always make sure they have a full bowl of water with them.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do they have any protection from the sun in this cage? What about from rain?

Ice cubes don't sound like enough of a fix.

kittady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes. They have shade and shelter.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If they have shade a shelter and are still panting it is just too hot out for them. You may need to bring them inside when it's a certain temperature.