Cats Spraying after fixing?

hds7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My two male cats got fixed today. One is 7 months old, the other 4 1/2. Both got alone great and the 4 1/2 one is two weeks new. There were no peeing problems EVER prior to this.

When I went to pick up the cats, the vet place reeked to high hell like cat piss, but i assume thats normal when you have a bunch of cats getting fixed. When I brought my carriers in the car, i thought that they smelled like cat piss, but i assumed my nose was still just smelling the vet place. When I got home however the carriers did smell like cat pee, so i put them up above in a counter until i could clean them tomorrow, as i had to leave for work right away.

when i came back home, the whole house reeked like cat pee to high hell. it smelled exactly like the vet place. i have a pretty big apartment and would have to look for a while with my nose on the ground to find out where the dried up pee would be, but it smells pretty bad in every room.

Is it possible that my cats picked up spraying from going to that place and the other cats there? or is there some sort of explanation for this? Im very mad, because they are indoor cats, and the only reason i got them fix was to avoid this type of problem!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Don't get mad - do you have any reason to think they're spraying other than the house smells like urine?

I would think the entire place reeks of urine because:
1) the carriers are full of pee (it is not that uncommon for cats to urinate in their carriers)
2) the cats potentially urinated in their carriers & have pee on them

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hds7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, i've just gotten back from washing the carriers. One of them indeed did have a towel that was pissed on. those towels are in the wash. In the 15 minutes i was washing the carriers in the bathtub, i have been burning candles in the house. when i came out, the living room smelled better, but my room still reeked. so i brought the candle to my room, and about 2 minutes later, the living room reeks like pee again.

im starting to believe that there is pee somewhere around. could this be happening? can anyone tell me if this is actually a rare happening that could occur? if this is the case, can i get my money back from the vet?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of vet clinics will put cats in their carriers to recover from the anesthetic, and they frequently wet themselves during recovery. So they probably have pee on them, and they'll need a few days to clean themselves off. Can't bathe them for. . .I think 10 days after surgery (call the vet to be sure), but they should have cleaned themselves up by then. You can wipe them down with a damp towel, it might help.

Wash their bedding frequently, too, because their smelliness will rub off wherever they sleep. Scrub the carriers, too, a smelly carrier can really stink up a house. I've also noticed that Betadine (surgical scrub) also smells like cat pee. So it could be that instead of pee. In fact, at their age I'd almost bet it's the Betadine. They're not old enough to have really strong-smelling pee.

Some cats do have accidents after surgery. Probably still a bit confused from the anesthetic. But they shouldn't suddenly start spraying, especially when that young.

LOL, no, you can't get your money back from the vet. The only guarantee for neutering is that they can't get a girl pregnant afterward. Everything else is dependent on the individual cat.

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may well be the cats themselves that stink - it isn't uncommon for an anethetised cat to pee on itself and the fur will reek until it either wears off or you bath the cat. They may also dribble when coming out and it can continue until full conciousness and motor skills return. Some also stress pee in carriers. Clean the carriers, clean the cats and any place they rested. Can't get money back from the vet unless the sugery missed the bits to be removed.