Cats Smelly Breath

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My 1-Year old cat Has very bad breath! It mainly smells like her canned cat food,Whenever i think about it i give her some treats that say they are good for bad breath.They just dont work! What is the best thing to do for bad breath in cats?What do you do with your cats breath?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just took my youngest cat to the vet for this very thing. I was thinking she had teeth problems. She only had a small amount of tartar build up and not enough to warrant a dental cleaning. The vet suggested a product called Oratene. I've not done a lot of research on it, but the vet mentioned that some people just rub it on their cat's gums.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

greenpuppyz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just took my youngest cat to the vet for this very thing. I was thinking she had teeth problems. She only had a small amount of tartar build up and not enough to warrant a dental cleaning. The vet suggested a product called Oratene. I've not done a lot of research on it, but the vet mentioned that some people just rub it on their cat's gums.
Thanks,Ive never heard of this product before but its pretty cheap on chewy.com so i might buy some if it works!

Last edited:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Poor dental health can cause bad breath, just like it does in people. To keep yoru cat's teeth healthy and the breath not so smelly, start home dental care. Toothbushng is best since the scrubbing action removes stuck food particles and plaque. Use only pet toothpaste and small pet toothbrush or fingerbrush.

Short of brushing, you can try large dental chews such as the CET ones and dental rinses and gels. Feline Greenies and other similar dental treats don't work well if at all for dental health because the size is too small and most cats will crunch once and then swallow. The CET ones require a fair amount of chewing to break the treat up into easy to swallow pieces.

Here's more info on home dental care: Home Care for Cats | AVDC - American Veterinary Dental College

I suggest having the vet exam your cat's teeth first just to make sure there isn't any issue that needs to be dealt wth before it becomes worse.

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well, to me, it's normal - it's a cat! LOL They're not supposed to have minty fresh breath. Check with your vet but I'm sure it's just normal kitty breath.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it's just cat food breath, encourage them to drink more water by maybe having a water fountain out. If it's anything other than cat food I would have the cat examined.

lady_hlh

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Smelly breath could also be a sign of IBD. One of our cats had bad breath since we got him at 12 weeks, he kept vomiting after eating more and more as he got older. He was finally diagnosed as having mild IBD at a few years old.