Cat's Size

cobra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the average weight for a domestic cat?

Also, what is the largest domestic cat ever recorded in the world and what breed was he/she?

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't know the record.

Regarding the average...that's a heavily dependant factor, due to the various breeds of cat. However if you are referring to the very popular Domestic Short-Hair (DSH) then you are probably looking at an average weight of between 8-14 lbs.

Spotz

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cobra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So they never get below 8 pounds, unless it is a rare incident.

Also, what domestic cat breed is the largest and how much does that breed weigh?

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Again...not an expert on the various breeds. So I will defer this question.

A cat below 8 lbs is relatively uncommon, especially for a male...females tend to be towards the smaller end of the spectrum while males are towards the larger.

Spotz

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cobra

So they never get below 8 pounds, unless it is a rare incident.

Also, what domestic cat breed is the largest and how much does that breed weigh?
I think that the Maine Coon is the largest domestic. They've been known to weigh in at between 20 and 30 pounds, without being obese.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, my Ophelia is 7.5 lbs at 4 years old and the vet says she's quite healthy. I know one of our members has a little Russian Blue who tips the scales at about 5.5 lbs, and again, she is a healthy cat.

As for large breeds, I believe Cindy is right, the Maine Coon is the largest. Not uncommon for a male to be 28 lbs. and not fat at all. Norwegian Forest Cats are also very large cats.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a 13 pound Manx cat, all muscle and a 15 pound Maine Coon Mix also muscle no fat

cobra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am not sure what my cat breed is, he a orange ginger cat I guess you would call him. He has a long tail. Looks very much like this picture below. Can anyone tell me what the breed is?

http://www.aopy71.dsl.pipex.com/Me/Piccys/cougar.jpg

Anyway, he is between 9-11.5 pounds and is exactly one year year old (May 10 was his birthday). Is that too big or small?

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Cobra
Also, what is the largest domestic cat ever recorded in the world and what breed was he/she?
The official 2004 Guinness world record goes to a Maine Coon named Leo. According to Leo's webpage, if he was a person, he would be over 8 feet tall and would weigh 220 pounds. Please click on the following link for more information: http://www.verismocat.com/htmscripts/leo-guinness.htm

EDIT: "The people of Chicago Illnois can be proud to call the world's biggest cat their own. He is the Biggest Maine Coon Cat; the Largest Maine Coon Cat."

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He just looks like a typical orange cat to me.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd say that, what you have there, is your basic domestic shorthair a.k.a. felis cattus. Mixed breeds can come in any size. Over the years, I've had cats, who ranged from 5 lbs (full-grown) to 15 lbs. and there wasn't a pedigree in the bunch.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by Hissy
He just looks like a typical orange cat to me.
Hissy, here a quote from the Guinness website: "Kim Lacey, who adjudicates all Guinness World Records animal claims, is quick to point out that itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Leoâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s length – and not weight – that makes him a record breaker. “We donâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to be encouraging people to fatten up their pets just to become record breakers,†she said."

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Zero is about 12 lbs at 1 year exactly. That makes him a little on the big side, right? He still looks small to me, well until I see my small heather pick him up, then he looks a little large.

cobra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So, he is between 9-11.5 pounds and is exactly one year year old (May 10 was his birthday). Is that too big or small for a male? Remeber he is only one year old.

crazy-cat-lover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an 18 pound male cat, Peppurr, who is slightly overweight. He has lost so much fat, but has stayed at 18 pounds. He is more muscle and bone than fat. My year old male cat, Zeus, is 14 pounds - ALL muscle! Your cat is at a great weight for his age. 9 pounds is quite average. I had a couple female cats who were under 8 pounds and very healthy.

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cobra:

I have 2 orange tabbies at home. The larger one weighs in at about 13-14 lbs. The smaller one is about 8-9. They are 8 and 5 years old, respectively. I think you have a regular old domestic shorthair, and his final size will have a lot to do with what mixing has gone into his mixed heritage. I'd say he should be between 8 and about 12 lbs. Also remember that at one, a cat is considered an adult.