Cat's SDMA level & kidney function

bbruce621

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, for all of you experts out there, I have a question that I hope you won't mind answering.

I got my cat's blood work results back, and his SDMA level is 15 ug/dL (normal is up to 14). His creatinine is 2.2 mg/dL and BUN is 30 mg/dL. My vet isn't worried about it, but should I be? I read that 15 or higher is basically the start of kidney disease. If anyone has any information, please share... I'm really worried 🥺

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bbruce621

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
SDMA is a notoriously inaccurate test that doesn’t tell you much of anything. I wouldn’t worry. I don’t know why it’s still tested.

More info The SDMA Test - What Abnormal Results Mean And What They Don't Mean
Thank you for this! The first thing I read was "early detection of kidney disease", which is my biggest fear, especially since my cats were fed dry food for a long time. If SDMA can go up as a result of inflammation in the body that makes sense... He has a chronic eye infection which I believe we've finally found a way to treat, and severe gingivitis (dental cleaning soon).

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! My vet won't run SDMA for my cat Jamie who does have kidney issues from a young age. Jamie's BUN is currently 50 and his creatinine is 2.4 as of a couple of weeks ago. His numbers on BUN have been in the high 30s and 40s for a while as we continue to watch and treat. When Jamie was at about 30 we did an ultrasound, expecting to find something going on, but there was absolutely nothing. Moved onto an ECG and found HCM so we are now at the chicken or egg stage. Renal disease leading to cardiovascular or cardiovascular leading to renal. I should add that while his internist and cardiologist are busy disagreeing about this, Jamie has been completely fine. He was diagnosed at about 2 and is now approaching 5.

You could ask for further diagnostics like a US if you wanted although some say that the creatinine is the more important number and that your cat is still within an acceptable range.