Cats refusing to eat

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, I need some advice. For months now, my two cats Scoochie and Mooshie, both 16 years old, have been turning away from their food. This all started with the cat food shortage in the supermarkets. I can only buy what is available, so it's been an assortment of Fancy Feast, Friskies, 9 Lives, Meow Mix and a more expensive brand called Whole Hearted (which they detest). Whatever I open for them, they either take two bites and walk away or just turn their noses up at it. I know they're hungry, so why won't they eat?? I even tried a can of tuna this morning and they walked away from that too. I opened 6 cans this morning and nothing. They're driving me crazy with this. I'm on a very fixed income and I'm wasting a ton of money on food that ends up in the trash can. Any tricks on how to get them to eat? Please don't say take them to a vet, with inflation, that's not an option. This has to be related to the supply chain crisis because they never acted like this before their regular food routine got interrupted. Thanks for any advice!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a 17 year old cat that drives me crazy too with her eating habit. I’ve wasted a lot of food also. It seems like she goes in spurts, she’ll eat nothing but fancy feast pate for days and then all of a sudden she turns her nose up at it and then she’ll start eating the tiny tiger chicken yes for a while. Sometimes I’ll boil a boneless chicken breast and she’ll eat some of that. I’ve also tried a scrambled egg and then there are times that she’ll eat some of the baby food in a small jar with no spices added to it. But I do still have a few appetite stimulant pills that I purchased from the vet a few years ago. Of course they’ll want you to bring them in the office first. There should be some over the counter appetite stimulant you can purchase . So when it gets really bad and she won’t eat nothing I’ll give her a quarter of a small tablet and that seems to push her into eating. Also I give her some Miralax diluted in a small amount of water and give it to her in a dropper. Even though they’re not eating much they still need to move their bowels. I noticed one time after giving her MiraLAX she went to the bathroom and then she started eating. Could there be something wrong with their teeth and that’s why they’re not eating much? I fully understand why you’re not taking them to the vet because they are so expensive and then they tell you they wanna run all these different tests. $$$
I really think the big pet food companies have changed the ingredients in order for them to save money. I’ve noticed the cans I get (Friskies) have more gravy and less food now…
i dont know if is of any help but wanted you to know you’re not alone. I have 12 cats and waste a lot of food….

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby (17+yo) is also a very picky eater, and she has been for a while now. I was able to take her to a vet and have her checked over. She is hyperthyroid but has what they call apathetic H-T which means she actually lost interest in eating and ended up losing weight. Once that was 'under control', she started losing her appetite again. She has since been diagnosed with kidney disease and is currently on an appetite stimulant to aide with her off days of wanting to eat her food. This all started about 1 1/2 years ago. So, keep in mind, a vet visit might be something for you to start saving up for.

In the meantime, you can try FortiFlora - it is a probiotic, but really serves as an appetite stimulant more than anything else. Just sprinkle some on their food and see if it helps. I also use some toppers like LiL Gravies, Delectable bisques, and bone broth - there are other toppers like those as well that you could try. She also likes Party Mix treats (the one with bacon flavoring) as a crunched-up topper to her canned food. I rotate between all these as she seems to tire of them if I don't. Lickable treats, such as Squeeze Ups, Inaba Churu, Tiki Cat Stix, Catit, Wholehearted, and Temptations Purées might be something else to try. While Feeby likes all of these, she isn't crazy about having them actually mixed with her food, but other members have found some success in doing so.

Watch their weight to ensure they aren't losing too much. I also supplement Feeby's food with baby food meat (Gerber Stage 2 or Beechnut) to help increase her caloric intake. Depending on which one, you can add anywhere from 50 to 90 calories per jar.

While there may be some changes in the various foods - due to the pandemic or not - I haven't noticed the actual ingredients change. But, I will say Fancy Feast - at least the pates (the only kind Feeby will eat) - have changed in texture, which I think Feeby finds a bit off-putting.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi FeebysOwner, you bring up some great points. I actually do have a bunch of Delectables Squeeze Ups that they love, and I will start putting some on top of their food. And yes, Fancy Feast must have changed something because they were raised on it and have always loved it. The good news is both kitties just came out and ate a good portion of the tuna I left out this morning. So that's a good sign. If I can at least get a few tablespoons of something inside them, that's good. Thank you!

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 17 year old cat that drives me crazy too with her eating habit. I’ve wasted a lot of food also. It seems like she goes in spurts, she’ll eat nothing but fancy feast pate for days and then all of a sudden she turns her nose up at it and then she’ll start eating the tiny tiger chicken yes for a while. Sometimes I’ll boil a boneless chicken breast and she’ll eat some of that. I’ve also tried a scrambled egg and then there are times that she’ll eat some of the baby food in a small jar with no spices added to it. But I do still have a few appetite stimulant pills that I purchased from the vet a few years ago. Of course they’ll want you to bring them in the office first. There should be some over the counter appetite stimulant you can purchase . So when it gets really bad and she won’t eat nothing I’ll give her a quarter of a small tablet and that seems to push her into eating. Also I give her some Miralax diluted in a small amount of water and give it to her in a dropper. Even though they’re not eating much they still need to move their bowels. I noticed one time after giving her MiraLAX she went to the bathroom and then she started eating. Could there be something wrong with their teeth and that’s why they’re not eating much? I fully understand why you’re not taking them to the vet because they are so expensive and then they tell you they wanna run all these different tests. $$$
I really think the big pet food companies have changed the ingredients in order for them to save money. I’ve noticed the cans I get (Friskies) have more gravy and less food now…
i dont know if is of any help but wanted you to know you’re not alone. I have 12 cats and waste a lot of food….
Hi Babypaws, thanks for your advice. The kitties just came out and ate some tuna, so I'm a little relieved. Bowel movements haven't been a problem, both kitties make pretty good poops, probably because I leave dry food out for them as well. But I really want them to eat their soft food over dry. Thanks again!

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they like their dry food, you might try crushing some of that up and sprinkling it on top of the wet food to entice them. I've got an extremely picky eat too and it drives me nuts. He will eat freeze dried raw, but only in the dry form. I still try to feed him wet food three times a day, but often end up tossing it down the disposal. It's so irritating. I keep telling him there are starving cat out there he needs to count his blessing, but he doesn't seem to care. Anyway, I do give him FF broths pretty often. They aren't just broth, but have some shredded meat in them as well. And I add a little water to those just to get more hydration in him. You might get a packet or two of those and see if they like them. Might make you feel better. They aren't 100% nutritionally complete, but if they are eating dry as well, they should be ok.

scoochmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If they like their dry food, you might try crushing some of that up and sprinkling it on top of the wet food to entice them. I've got an extremely picky eat too and it drives me nuts. He will eat freeze dried raw, but only in the dry form. I still try to feed him wet food three times a day, but often end up tossing it down the disposal. It's so irritating. I keep telling him there are starving cat out there he needs to count his blessing, but he doesn't seem to care. Anyway, I do give him FF broths pretty often. They aren't just broth, but have some shredded meat in them as well. And I add a little water to those just to get more hydration in him. You might get a packet or two of those and see if they like them. Might make you feel better. They aren't 100% nutritionally complete, but if they are eating dry as well, they should be ok.
I try to guilt my guys too. I tell them, " If you were living outside on the street, you would eat this!". Then they walk away. Kitties. But I did get them to eat about half a bowl each today using Delectables Squueze Ups as a topper. I will keep trying that till they catch on. Thanks for your response!