Cats Refuse Litter Robot After 6 Years!

walleyejohn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
HELP! I'm completely flummoxed by this. I have two male cats who have been using 2 Litter Robots for many years, with no protests. Due to a medical issue, one of them had to wear a head cone for a few weeks and could no longer get in and out of the litter robot. So, I set a "traditional" litter box out. Both cats began using the traditional box and ignoring the Litter Robots. Not concerned, once the cone came off I put the traditional litter box away. Now both cats refuse to use the Litter Robot! I thought cats preferred a clean litter box, but NO! These 2 prefer a smelly, disgusting, dirty box! Is there anything I can do to get them to use the Litter Robots again? Obviously, they're far more convenient for me.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! You could try Cat Attract litter but I have no idea if it's "compatible" with the automatic.
I had to give up the auto box when my Big Guy arrived, back when, because not only would he not use it, it simply wasn't large enough for him.
Sometimes, --most times actually, it's not about what we want.
I'm scooping two, usually unless i'm late in the day then it's three boxes daily and dumping/washing every couple-three weeks. He is so completely worth it :)

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At least the cats are using a litter box and not your floors:) If the cats prefer to use a regular litter box, then let them. Keep the litter box available and just scoop it out daily. It's not a big deal to spend a minute or two to scoop daily.

The novelty of the regular litter box may eventually wear off and the cats may start to use both that and the Litter Robot.