Cat's poo is always just slightly loose...

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's poos are generally pretty solid, but just soft enough that there's often poo streaks in his hair that I have to wash up.. It seems no matter what type of food I give him it's always the same..

Is there anything I can give him - some sort of supplement to his regular food - to help keep his poos firmer?

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You could try adding a little psyllium into his wet food to see if that helps. I do that with my cat Pushy because lately he's been getting some overly soft stools and leaving poo smudges when he sits. :cringe: You don't want to overdo it though -my cat got really weird, long jelly poops when we were first figuring out dosage! Just a little sprinkle can really help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! You mean psyllium husk powder right? Something like this

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snoozler

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You could try adding a little psyllium into his wet food to see if that helps. I do that with my cat Pushy because lately he's been getting some overly soft stools and leaving poo smudges when he sits.
You don't want to overdo it though -my cat got really weird, long jelly poops when we were first figuring out dosage! Just a little sprinkle can really help.
Hi again! Sorry for rezzing this old thread. But I just got the psyllium husk powder now (had to order online and took a while to arrive).. About how much should I be using? Should it be a little bit in every meal or in just 1 meal a day? Can I use it daily? No idea where to start!

Thanks ^^

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You don't want to give too much, but I don't know if there's a weight-to-amount dosing guide out there. One cat I knew got psyllium caplets prescribed by the vet, and we broke them apart to sprinkle on his food. It was a tiny amount that he got twice a day. For my 10 lb cat Pushy, I find a scant 1/2 tsp once a day is enough. As you're just starting out, I would suggest twice a day. It might be a bit easier to digest in smaller amounts more often when his system isn't used to it.
Do you have a bulk food store near you? I find it much cheaper t buy my psyllium there.