Cats Playing For Fighting?

lexa333

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We just got a new kitten about a month ago and we currently had a two-year-old cat, they have transitioned pretty nicely and have not really had any true issues except the first couple days we brought the new kitten home. So as of lately they’ve been what I feel is playing because they’ve been chasing each other back-and-forth each taking a turn of being the chaser. But today I noticed something that I have not noticed before was that they were playing around in bed blankets that were hanging off the bed and I saw my older cat bite the kitten on the tail and there were is some what sounded like nails catching on the blanket so I’m assuming her claws were out . But the kitten didn’t make a sound like anything hurt and there’s no hissing or growling and it truly looks like my older cat was trying to get the kitten to play with her. I just need to make sure that this does sound like playing or that song playing could be a little rougher than what I would think would be playing especially since they’re both kind of young. Please let me know I am still getting used to the dynamic between having to cats and sometimes I freak out when I see my older cat heading the kitten on the head or being rougher with her than I think she should be.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your older cat is hurting the little one, the little one will hide and become withdrawn. Pulled out hair, biting without breaking the skin and screaming at times is play. If it gets too rough the little one will avoid the older one. Bites and claws that draw blood are NOT play. Usually it is the KITTEN that gets too rough, they don't really know their limits yet, but your older cat will teach the kitten. If they both take turns initiating play and no one hides, all is well!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
di and bob di and bob gave you the exact information that I was going to give you. Cats' play can look and sound horrible to us, but unless there are wads of fur flying and blood on the floor, it is just rough play. Remember that to a cat, ALL PLAY is practice for hunting.