Cats, Plastic and Pancreatitis

rajiakitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am getting the feeling that cats with this plastic obsession, end up with pancreatitis. The journey with my kitty has been long and arduous. I rescued him in terrible condition, and rebuilt him from a dying ragamuffin, to a big, beautiful fluffy sweetie. That is...until he discovered an obsession with plastic. My kitty will find it, somehow, somewhere. I do my best to keep it away, but he'll discover a sliver of it on the edge of something, and will eat it. My kitty was constantly throwing up, and I had no idea why. I thought that due to his extremely fluffy coat, he was having a time with fur balls. But this was abnormal. It was food he was tossing up. I discovered his obsession, when in the middle of the night, I heard this weird crackling noise from the closet. I turned on the light to find him chomping on a garment bag from the dry cleaners-He had eaten a HUGE moon shape out of it. Off to the vets. Same speech. Plastic doesn't show up on X-Rays. Problem? My kitty stopped eating for TWO months! I had to hand feed him with a syringe. He was wasting away. He ended up with pancreatitis, and has never really regained his health, fully. We are in a constant battle with this. Apparently, plastic is a petroleum product with a sweet chemical taste, which is what cats are attracted to. Dammitt!! I have also spent a fortune on my kitty- He's worth every penny. But I have to tell you, I am reading a lot online and putting stuff together. There seems to be a connection between plastic, and a digestive irritation or danger, that leads to pancreatitis.

I have to be even more vigilant, and make sure people coming into my house, at no point EVER, bring in things in bags. No food storage-dry cleaning bags-veggie bags-gift bags- gum wrappers, certain Scotch tape, coated papers (yep). They can really smell it. I wish us all luck with this strangely common issue.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The exact causes of pancreatitis are unknown. My Sebastian had an acute attack in July 2013 and now has chronic pancreatitis. He has never chewed plastic and does not get into things. If the pancreatitis already exists, I could definitely see how eating plastic would irritate the condition.