Cat's peeing himself while asleep

kotci

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello.
My cat (11M, sterilized) since around a 1-1,5 year occasionally pees in his sleep. He was taken a couple of times to various vets, checked for possible urinal crystals (small amount/negative), got echography of the bladder and kidneys (last result could suggest the very start of kidney problems, according to vet nothing should be done about it yet), blood check, etc. The cause of the issue was never found.

The supplement that helped him a lot:
Urostat: D-Mannose 10%, sugar beet syrup, glucosamine 2%, (nettle leaves, dried, horsetail, goldenrod, lavender, black currant, cranberry) macerate each 2%, cranberry, ground 0.5%, phytosterols , goldenrod, ground 0.1%, field horsetail, ground 0.1%. Supplements per 1,000 ml: vitamin A 12,000 I.E

While it's rather supplement without prescription, than heavy medicine, he's getting it for far too long. Producer's recommendation says to take a break from the product after 3 months, he's using it for much longer, any attempt to pause it resulted in return of the problem within 1-2 weeks. I tried to switch it with dried nettle infusion but it was difficult to administer because of quantity (25ml of minimum dosage) with syringe (orally) and not as efficient.

Before the problem started, he used to go to litter rarely (1-2 times per day) and peeing considerable amount at once (my other cats pee more often in smaller amounts).

Another thing that helps to mitigate the issue is to take him on leashed walks (for 8 years he was an outdoor cat, coming in and out whenever he pleased). We started to go out twice per day, around 30 min for the walk, but recently he's requesting more walks (4-6 per day). It starts to take a toll on me because it cuts my sleep: first walk can be as early as 5AM, if lucky 7AM (he's meowing under the door), last one (that I enforce myself for making sure he empties himself before the night) between 22:30 - 00:00. Also sometimes it happens that despite signalizing the need of going out, he's refusing to pee at all, what results in long (up to 1h), frustrating, fruitless walks, often perturbing the routine of the day. It's also noteworthy that he totally stopped using litters for peeing.

The cats have lots of litters (10 per 7 cats) in various locations of the house. I don't think that he's stressed by other cats, if anything it would be on opposite, he's the dominant one. I've built them also big enclosure (approx. 60m2) with constant access through the garage.

Before the "supplement + walks" combo the peeing accidents happened even 3 times per night. Now when the routine is strictly followed, it barely happens. Each time it does though, I get scared that "the combo" stopped working and he's getting worse. I'd like to find and solve the root of the problem rather than fighting the symptoms.

I'd be grateful for any ideas.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease (FLUTD) | International Cat Care

acting with "displays of dominance" can be due to stress.

if he's peeing outside at night, could a box with just dirt work for him in one of those boxes?

YOu also have a decent amount of boxes, but let's consider where the boxes are located. Busy areas? Quiet areas? Covered, uncovered? Large enough for him to pee comfortably? Harassed by other cats? (And again, lanes of traffic). Consider how he likes to go outside and what that means about what kind of environment he wants to potty in.

Another consideration is, since you've gotten a lot of territory for them as a group, ensuring that there are multiple paths to and from resources. Jackson Galaxy calls it "lanes of traffic" and begins talking about it at 3:15 in this video, which is the part that's relevant to your situation of having a stressed cat.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It does sound like stress/anxiety could be the source of his issue, but I am not sure I understand how the supplement necessarily helps with that. The walks, I can see how that might contribute to relieving stress/anxiety for him. Nonetheless, I don't even have the first clue about why that would tie to him peeing in his sleep. There are specialty vet groups that deal with urological issues as well as neurological matters, so it might behoove you to consult with such a group about what is going on with your cat. Any testing you have had done with your vet can be shared with them to help reduce the chances of redundant tests/costs.

Insofar as the supplement you are using, I don't know what is in it that would warrant short-term or limited use. But you could try pure D-Mannose (no other ingredients) instead. My cat has been getting pure D-Mannose daily for nearly 3 years, and I have never read/heard any cautions about long term use. She takes it to help clear bacteria from her bladder in order to help prevent UTIs. Other members on this site use it for general bladder health as well. I mix about 1/4 tsp of this powder into her food, and she doesn't seem to notice it is in there. This is the one I buy -
UTI Pets Pure D-Mannose Powder | WellnessPartners.com™

Btw, my cat is one when she was younger that would only pee once a day and the amount was huge! She goes a bit more frequently now that she is older. I mention this to you as there are just some cats that pee less often but in larger amounts. I wouldn't necessarily consider this to be a problem, but more an 'idiosyncrasy'. (Although, it might be why she tended to get UTIs when she was younger.)