Cat's Pee Won't Clump

Laga

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have the same problem with my male kitten , he is almost 10 months old. I have another female cat using the same litter and we don’t have any problem with her. My male kitten has as well loose poop since the day we adopted him. He eats very well and very active and playful but she has this constant problem with the poop ( he made the test of worms many time and it s negative) and the urine that doesn’t clump!

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No posts since Sept. 2020, but I'm going to jump in here. Until last week I had 3 male cats... (youngest had lymphoma and we lost him)... they all used 4 different litter boxes with Tidy Cat litter. The biggest cat's urine does not clump but the others did. Last checkup the vet said he was borderline diabetic and I'm wondering if this is the reason. He's 15 now and I know this wasn't a problem until the last couple of years. I'm going to have him checked again for diabetes.

rushbc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a three year old female Russian blue, spayed.
Her pee does not clump, but I suspect it’s because she breaks up the clumps with her digging and covering.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Interesting. My male cat never covers his pee... it just looks like a puddle in litter. ??

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have had two diabetic cats and their pee did clump in standard clumping litter. The puddle of urine I have seen from time to time with an older cat who pees an excessive quantity, but it was usually a function of enough litter not being in the box at the time.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay, thanks. I was thinking maybe he was diabetic. Guess I'll keep the litter deep.

Meghand4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No posts since Sept. 2020, but I'm going to jump in here. Until last week I had 3 male cats... (youngest had lymphoma and we lost him)... they all used 4 different litter boxes with Tidy Cat litter. The biggest cat's urine does not clump but the others did. Last checkup the vet said he was borderline diabetic and I'm wondering if this is the reason. He's 15 now and I know this wasn't a problem until the last couple of years. I'm going to have him checked again for diabetes.
I use Tidy Cats as well and have one out of ten cats whose pee does not clump. It looks fine in the box but disintegrates when scooped and all of the wet litter goes everywhere. It is not a problem with the litter as everyone else's clumps. This cat was just recently diagnosed with a UTI but I suspect there is something more going on. I really feel like it is a good indicator of a medical issue. Diabetes alone will not make the litter not clump as I have had several diabetics, but I think it is related to the ph balance of the urine. Pretty sure if anyone else experiences the same issue, don't wait, get a urinalysis and some blood work done and don't let your vet dismiss it as the litter.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use Tidy Cats as well and have one out of ten cats whose pee does not clump. It looks fine in the box but disintegrates when scooped and all of the wet litter goes everywhere. It is not a problem with the litter as everyone else's clumps. This cat was just recently diagnosed with a UTI but I suspect there is something more going on. I really feel like it is a good indicator of a medical issue. Diabetes alone will not make the litter not clump as I have had several diabetics, but I think it is related to the ph balance of the urine. Pretty sure if anyone else experiences the same issue, don't wait, get a urinalysis and some blood work done and don't let your vet dismiss it as the litter.
Thanks for your comments. My cat did have a UTI and was on anti-biotics but his pee still doesn't clump. His blood work checked out okay. Good idea about checked pH. I have some ph test strips and will try to test his pee if I can. I've read about others having this issue on other cat forums. Nobody seems to have the answer. Weird, eh. I'll post again if I get to test his pH. Take care.

britches

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I created an account just to reply and say I think you are on to something here! One of male kittens (who is a little over a year now) had urine that clumped just fine up until a month or so ago. Then he got a UTI and his litter has not clumped since! My other cats are in still clumps so I know it's not the litter. I've been treating his UTI for weeks now and even though it is getting better his urine is still not clumping. I was afraid it was related, and after reading through this thread I feel pretty confident that it's something to do with that. I think it's safe to say if you're cats urine stops climbing get them checked at the vet, just to be safe! ❤

FranS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I got a kitten from a friend's neighbor and he's only 2 months and he started out fine but over the course of a couple days he has reduced output. The vet suspected the reduced urine output was related to a UTI and gave him antibiotics. But even though he's playful and eating well, his pee no longer clumps. It's odd bc two days ago he peed and it clumped but then it went right back to no clumping and less output.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It is good that you sought treatment for your new kitten; stay on top of it with the vet given his very young age.

FranS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! It is good that you sought treatment for your new kitten; stay on top of it with the vet given his very young age.
Definitely.. I'm just waiting to see if it sorta itself out with the meds.. hoping it does and soon.. 🤞I hate feeling helpless

SiberianCat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also have this problem with my healthy siberian female. Male pee clumps perfectly. No matter which clumping litter I buy it won't clump with her. Her pee is normal, she is healthy. It's very annoying for scooping it out.