Cat's Panting?

msyfun

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just wondering if this is normal. Our kitten is 7 months old and after some hard playing he pants. It has been hot here in North Ohio, but we are playing in the basement, cooler there. When I notice panting I quit playing and he will lay on the tile for 3-5 minutes and want to play again. Any suggestions?

Thanks

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen Hope do this. She gets so excited she just dosen't stop. So I stop playing and make her take a break. After a while she is always fine.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He could have a cardiac problem, and I'd ask the vet about it rather than just assuming it's ok.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 11 cats and 5 are overactive kittens. I live in the tropics. No panting ever. Perhaps a vet is the best person to ask.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, I'd suggest a visit to the vet too. It might be nothing more than he's tuckered out from so much "hard playing", but it could be something with his little heart too. Better to have it checked out as soon as possible because heart problems get worse instead of better unless there is medical intervention early on.

Unless your cat is a real porker, he should be able to run around a great deal without running so out of breath that he needs to stop and take a breather before carrying on.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's normal for cats to pant if they've been running a lot, but you should see your vet about it if you're worried. Mosi pants after he's been running up and down the room chasing the cat dancer for ages and Jaffa was the same when he was younger (with the cat dancer too, incidentally). My bridge baby Magpie never got himself out of breath but he was never as lively as Jaffa or Mosi. Cats are designed for short bursts of running but if they enjoy a toy some will keep going until they are panting. So long as they stop after a short rest it's nothing to worry about. I asked my vet about this once when I first noticed Jaffa panting (he'd never done it before the introduction of the cat dancer) and he said it was normal.

xandlyn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My female, Nepenthe, is a big cat. When I can get her all excited and playful she'll do laps around the house. But she tires herself out and pants. It's normal, but if in doubt talk to a vet.

emily_325

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Anya does this after she's been playing hard too. She looks like a little snake in a strike pose because she runs with her mouth open and you can see her canines very pronounced. It's kind of adorable. As soon as she starts doing it I make her rest and she stops panting very quickly.

andelawhi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was always told that it was ok. I've only seen my Luna do it when she is stressed- Like when she's in the cat carrier in the car. You always see big cats like lions and tigers panting when they're hot, so I'm assuming it normal.

crys12065

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats also pant but they are persians so its kind of a requirement! But I think it is probably fine..we pant when we run to hard! Or at least I do..

my_mr.lover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has been inthe high 80's and going up here in MI my cat KIT likes to play with the laser pointer. the other day my husband was playing with her and it was one of the hotter days and she was panting hard, she went and layed on the kitchen floor and a few minutes later was back ready for more. she has done it a couple of other times on really hot days. she also is 7 months old. I think its because she is not used to this hot weather were not used to it at all. The lady who lives in the tropics her cats are used to the heat. us northern people dont get this kind of heat all that often and for kittens that were born in the winter they have never ever seen this kind of heat. I say if shes up ready to play again let her play. ours is healthy and happy.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have air here and Whitey is the only one of the 4 that will pant. I think his is more of a sign that he's enjoying the "game" or the toy. Lately he's started to pant within the first 5 minutes of playing (and it won't be that difficult).
He's a healthy cat too...no heart trouble.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Isaac pants when playing with the Cat Dancer & Da Bird. He just gets very worked up, plus he has a lot of hair. I've always sort of worried about it, but he has always been able to keep up with the other kitties. It's just a couple toys that get him super worked up.

kittylova

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Charlie does it. and max does it. But i am worried about charlie thoe. when we got him from the shelter they said when he was born his lungs where not develop(sp?) so I hope there is no problems with his lungs.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes it i spretty normal for some cats to do it. As you can see by everyone that posted here saying their cats do it too. If there is no apparent reason to be panting and the cat hasn't been playing enough to pant, then I would take the cat to the vet. Some of mine do this too after playing or in the carrier going to the vet and I think it is perfectly normal.

finnandtati

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Isaac pants when playing with the Cat Dancer & Da Bird. He just gets very worked up, plus he has a lot of hair. I've always sort of worried about it, but he has always been able to keep up with the other kitties. It's just a couple toys that get him super worked up.
OMG...me too! I have a 3 month old Silver Bengal, who is totally insane, and she plays until she literally falls asleep sitting up LOL I hadn't pulled Da Bird out for a few days and she went insane tonight...panting like crazy but wouldn't stop so I put all her fav toys away for a bit so that she wouldn't be tempted lol