cats (or dogs) eating off of our dishes

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the vultures lining up took get a few licks over the ice cream remains!!
Sheba would jump on the table when i was eating cereal and send me vibes "hurry up"!!! I think she knew the sounds of a spoon finishing the last bit of cold cereal!! Last night I caught Bobber on the counter. I just had put some turkey in a zip loc bag and there was teeth marks on the bag!!! Her and Ox will once in a while check the sink out for leftover tidbits!!

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rosie and Sophie don't bother with any form of human food, apart from Sophie who pulls down my hand if i'm eating a biscuit and "tries" to nibble on it
but they do like the odd lick of ice cream from my spoon.

Yes i know where they've been licking, but i'm still alive to tell the tale as most of us here are

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I sometimes let them lick the ice creme bowl. But mainly they have their own dishes.

kittenkiya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Troika used to have to have her own plate of spaghetti when we had it for supper. If she didn't she came over and ate off of ours.

McGarrett used to share my yogurt with me, he always had to have a bite or two from whatever flavor I had.

I don't feed people food too much to ones I have now, except everyone loves cheddar cheese. When I get some for myself, I have to have a couple of slices for them.

They do get tuna water, and they get milk once a month.

cla517

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cats do not generally eat people food, but I do givd them the occasional lick of my ice cream cone (yes, I keep eating it after they do that) or yogurt. I will also let them have a tiny bit of milk out of the cereal bowl once I've finished. I've come into a room to find a cat carrying away a piece of my salad.

The idea of them eating from a plate doesn't bother me, but I am just against feeding them people food on a regular basis.

shimmer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
no, I have never had human food and let me cats lick the plate, and sometimes if I run out of bowls or the bowls break I use human plates, but they are soaked in boiling water and dishwashing soap for hours and then washed again before being used. I have seen my cats eat all kinds of things, so I hate them to be licking my plates.

vibiana

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
(Except when they are very enterprising, like this weekend when Marnie snuck licks from the empty bowl I'd just eaten mint chip ice cream from. lol)

I use separate dishes for their food and water, and I wash them daily. I do not own a dishwasher, and I suppose if I did I could be less rigid about separate dishes, but the way it stands, we don't use the same dishes.

I have a separate scrubby sponge for their dishes, and while I do stack them in the drainer with my own when they're clean, they are washed separately from my dishes.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well the boys don't get to eat off of the plate I'm eating from but they go get wetfood on small plates that I use for other things as well. They also get small servings of people food when it stuff they really like.

It honestly never occured to me to be worried about them licking off the plates I figure the dishwasher gets the dishes clean enough that I just don't worry about it.

That being said, Gandalf has a thing for drinking out my glass and I will drink after him. I try to keep him away from it but when he's successful I will still finish my drink.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do give Reilly the occasional lick off of my plate. The way I see it is I give him kisses all the time..why is him licking off my plate any worst??

purr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Cupid on paper plates, but if I run out of paper plates, I use glass plates. I've never thought of it as being yucky, but they're sanitized in the dishwasher anyway. I mean, the food that's on the plates is more yucky than kitty tongue...heheh.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Quite frankly it grosses me out more to share food with a slobbery toddler than with the family cat or dog - but that's because the kid isn't mine.
Exactly! People get grossed out when you share with a cat or dog, yet they share with a slobbery baby! Sorry, but I don't see a big difference! I had to train Lily out of drive by munchings because dad would get madder than all heck whne he tried to take a bite of his sandwich & the meat was gone! She is a speedy little devil, too!

The dogs never use the same plates as people, but the cats occaisonally do. They get soaked in hot soapy water, hand washed, then run throught the dishwasher. That is how I wash the cat bowls, too. I like to make sure they are super clean!

jessicasoosweet

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i dont give kallie people food....but sometimes my finace will sneak her milk from his cereal bowl..i would also share a bit of ice cream with her. it doesnt gross me out

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
they dont eat of my plate but we use the same plates.

its not like we never wash the crockery in our house! if you wash it afterwards i dont see the problem.

besides, the cat sleeps on my face, i think i have all the germs i'm going to catch already!

lilysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lily doesn't eat people food, but we have put her cat food in people dishes before. I figure the dishwasher's going to get them plenty clean! I used to let Princess lick my plates all the time.

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sash certainly can eat off my plate if he wants to, I have no problem with that. He usually just likes to share with me if it's something sweet. Now, my bf Will doesn't quite feel the same way. He won't share the same plate with Sash.
But, I have no problem with it. My boy is such a clean boy and he can eat off any dish I use too!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats mostly have their own dishes, however most of them were really made for people, such as corelle or pyrex bowls that we use. In a pinch, we give them food off of people plates. The dishes go in the dishwasher with our dishes, plus we used to wash them in the sink with ours. They aren't supposed to eat human food, but we do have some sneaks. It doesn't really bother me. My mom used to let the dog lick the plates after a beef dinner, but she wouldn't do it in front of guests. It also used to creep guests out when he used to go over to the dirty forks that were in the (open) dishwasher, and lick them.
My friend's mom apparently had a major complex with this, and I had no idea. They have a cat. Anyway, they were having a tag sale, and a guy walked by that was walking his dog. He stopped to chat as he knew my friend. The dog was panting and I thought I would give the dog some water, and grabbed a plastic bowl.. My friend said his mom woudn't be too happy if she found out!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both our dogs and cats use the same plates and bowls. We do have bowls just for them but, all treat foods go on the people dishes! LOL As we get kisses from both the dogs and cats, I see no problem with it.

The subject reminds me of a story I read once, I think it was a letter to Dear Abby or Ann Landers, anyway...

These neighbors always came over and invited themselves to dinner. Every night they would show up at dinner time and sit down. The home owners were besides them selves as they didn't want to be rude, and yet they wanted their family dinner time back. One night the lady of the house had a brillient idea! Right after dinner she placed their dishes on the floor and allowed the dogs to lick them clean. She then took the "clean" dishes and placed them in the cupboard. The neighbors never returned and family time was saved. She did say she went and washed all the dishes in the cupboard after the "guests" left. LOL