Cats on the mend from URI, when can they be together?

ejes324

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We adopted an 8 week old kitten who had a URI and unfortunately it spread to our 1.5 year old cat. Both got on anti-biotics have seen the vet and are on lysine. The kitten seems to be 100% better, but the older one although he seems better is eating normally he still sneezes a lot of snot and you can tell he is stuffed up. I feel bad keeping them separate they just wait on the other sides of the door trying to be together. When is it safe to let them be together, without the risk of the same virus getting passed back to the kitten? P.S. sorry if this is a silly question this is my first experience with sick babies.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. It certainly doesn't seem to be a silly question to me since I can't answer it. But what kind of virus does the vet think this is - and what did the vet say about the two cats being kept separate? Have you told the vet about the older cat not totally recovering and is there additional treatments that might be in order?

A lot depends on what the vet thinks is behind this virus that was 'transferred' from the kitten to your other cat, and how easily it could be transferred back.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ejes324

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Vet initially said it would be fine after they have been together because they think it is the same virus, they said this was just a common symptom of stress and can happen when there is a change in the cats environment. I haven't told them yet about the older cat not fully recovered yet because he exhibited symptoms about a week after the kitten so he started anti biotics later too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ejes324

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The Vet initially said it would be fine after they have been together because they think it is the same virus, they said this was just a common symptom of stress and can happen when there is a change in the cats environment. I haven't told them yet about the older cat not fully recovered yet because he exhibited symptoms about a week after the kitten so he started anti biotics later too.
but to add they said to see how they are doing later on before we let them be together

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think you kind of need to know what virus the vet suspects is involved. Is this something related to FCV or FVR? Has your older cat received the normal vaccinations - how about the kitten?

Maybe this article can help shed some light on the situation so that you can ask some more specific details from the vet.
Feline Upper Respiratory Infection | VCA Animal Hospitals (vcahospitals.com)