Cats on planes - Lightweight Carriers

mayadot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm about to move to another country with my 2 cats (Christopher Robin and Squish, both 8 years old). I feel pretty strongly about not putting them in the cargo hold, and would like them to be in the cabin with me. I've done some research and finally booked a flight for us on KLM. However, they do have fairly strict weight restrictions. The cat including the carrier needs to be under 6 kilograms, which is just slightly over 13 lbs. Christopher Robin just weighed in at 11.5 lbs. The vet said he was a healthy weight, he's just a bigger build. I'm quite nervous about him weighing in above the restriction and having to go in cargo, and would like to purchase the lightest-possible weight carrier for him. I will also try to cut back on his food just a little to see if I can get him closer to 11 lbs (I don't want to jeopardize his health or comfort with a big diet). Does anyone have recommendations on very lightweight carriers, or this issue at all?

Thanks very much,
Maya

odiakkoh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My flight wasn't international, from California to Illinois and back but for my flights his weight wasn't an issue. He's slightly over 13lbs and was allowed to be in the cabin with me. I just used a cheap $15 carrier from Walmart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mayadot

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for this, it's comforting to hear that others didn't have problems being over the weight, but I've been told that the Dutch are strict with rules and regulations so I'm still pretty worried about it and want to try to buy the lightest carrier possible.