Cats on Kitchen Counters and Tables?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by russ0268

Who thinks this is ok?
I have never liked my cats up on the kitchen counters or tables. Cats can be very clean, but to think of feet that were just in the cat box may now be on my counters, yuck. I mean you won't put your dog on your counters would you? Now I'm not so stupid to think they might not get up there when I'm not home. But at least they are smart enought not to do it when I'm around. And I try to provide many other places for them to jump up.

Thought this could create an interesting discussion. Just looking for different view points.

Laurie
Persi does. And Persi goes wherever he wants except the cooktop. I would not know how to prepare a meal without Persi right there helping me!

javannalynn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
my cats are not allowed on the computer desks and the dress my tv sits on. they are not allowed on the counters but there is only one with the sink so they got that really fast. they are allowed on the table because we don't eat off the table. and the divder in the living room/kitchen. they also are allowed in the bathroom sink and the bathtub. But Squeak LOVES the bathroom sink! he sits there ever time I go in there and waits for me to play with him or brush him.

this is a video of him playing in the sink.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The kitchen table is only out of bounds when it's set or we're eating. Our cabinets are laid out in an "L" shape. Jamie is allowed on one "leg", and prefers to eat up there, but isn't permitted on the other "leg", where the stove, sink, and food preparation area are, mainly because I don't want him accidentally getting burnt.

joanne511

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too have pretty much given up on trying to keep them off the counters. I do, however, draw the line if they try to get near the stove. Even if it's not hot, I don't want that to become a habit.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not a big fan of cats on tables and counters at all!!! There feet are pretty gross if you think about it! We had one cat when I was a kid that would get on the counter and knock everything glass off!!! We used to put tape, sticky side up, on the counter....it was so funny to see her in the morning when she had been playing on the counter over night. She eventually learned that jumping on the counter = sticky tape on her feet and legs!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I'm not a big fan of cats on tables and counters at all!!! There feet are pretty gross if you think about it! We had one cat when I was a kid that would get on the counter and knock everything glass off!!! We used to put tape, sticky side up, on the counter....it was so funny to see her in the morning when she had been playing on the counter over night. She eventually learned that jumping on the counter = sticky tape on her feet and legs!
Aww, come on, when's the last time you looked at your feet?

amberthe bobcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats pretty much go where the please. The domestics are one thing, but try telling a bobcat he or she can't be on the counter or table

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats go anywhere they like.

Abby leaps up on the kitchen counter to get to the top of the fridge and subsequently onto the top of the cupboards. Other than that she doesn't roam around on the kitchen counters.

Both cats like to lay on the dining room table because it's glass and it's cool and it's in a spot where they can see me when I'm in the kitchen or living room, or they can look out the window.

Chynna is too old and fat to jump up onto counters, but she likes to go and sleep in the bottom cupboards. So when I use any bowls or pots from there I wash them both before and after I use them. It's a bit of a pain but if my kitty is happy that's all that matters.

I don't see anything wrong with cats being on the tables or counters. Just get in the habit of wiping down the surface before you use it. It's become habit for me. I even do it when I'm at someone's house and helping them with dinner, LOL

The only time they aren't allowed is when I'm actually cooking or eating at the table.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi

Aww, come on, when's the last time you looked at your feet?
We also don't lick our feet and private parts to clean them because it would make us sick...well...and we might not be that flexible hah