Cats on furniture? Yes? No?

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are not allowed in our bedroom, the guest bedroom or our master bathroom...anything else is fair game. The guest bedroom because it's still carpeted and the last time we got word we were getting guests at the last minute we were up until 2:00am scrubbing the carpet under the bed (apparently an alternate litter box I didn't know about. Door closed, problem solved). Master bathroom because we store extra bags of cat food in there and I really don't want them tearing them open in before their time! Our bedroom...well, you know...
Actually, Little One is allowed to sleep with us if she wants, and Harley does get 10 minutes of undivided attention each night before we got to bed, but the door remains closed.

The rest of the house....I've given up. I just clean...a lot! I've tried to keep them off the counters and they DO get chased off if I'm making food although I just say stray cat hairs at flavor.
I've found them on top of cabinets, the refrigerator, every chair, couch, loveseat, on top of the toilet, in the tub....I've given up.

On a side note:

Originally Posted by tiberius709

They stay in our room right now so they don't have run of the full house. I figure 800 sq feet is enough for right now lol..
Are you saying your BEDROOM is 800 sq ft?? That is half of my entire house?? Ummmm....can I come visit? By the sounds of it, I could be there for a week and you wouldn't even know it!!

meminikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are usually outdoor but when indoor NO FURNITURE at all. I hate how their fur get stuck to it or how they try to sharpen their claws on it lol

But when inside, they usually just stay on the floor, as if they already know what I want and don't want them to do. Although, once, when my cat was a kitten, she climbed the curtains. I was a little angry because she did it all the time. So I made an area for her in the basement/garage until she was old enough to go outside. But that's just me.

My friend's cats are not allowed on any furniture either, but they're indoor. They just have their cat beds and the floor.

One of my basset hounds stay indoors though. His legs are so short and stubby that he can't really get on anything.

mismaris777

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do NOT allow my cats on my counters or tables, and they know that if mommy catches any of them doing it they run for the hills because they know they are in deep doo-doo. I consider those surfaces MY surfaces, and they are not allowed on them. But pretty much any other surface is theirs, they are allowed on the beds, couch, chairs, recliners, etc. I think that's because I try and treat them like they are my children, and it is their house too but they need to respect it (it's quite a big concept for an animal to figure out, but they have really learned their manners.)

Heck, I don't know how I would be able to sleep if my bed WASN'T full of cats lol.

milk maid

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats have the run of the place, and I have to feed them on the work surface because with 6 dogs they would pinch the food if I didn't, I do try and do a my side and a thier side on the work surface and it usually works ok,
I try to keep them out of the bed room because Sylvester has a nasty habbit of peeing on everything, but Cookie(the kitten) and Jasper usually manage to get up there at some time in the day for a little snoose. As for the sofa's with the 4 cats and the dogs there is not much room for us but I do tend to evict someone in the evening when I want a comfy seat.

mira's_mommy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Other than when I have to keep certain cats separated there are no restrictions in my house. The tables, counters, cabinets (on clean dishes), even the fridge or microwave on occasion if I don't check before I shut them. They all have their favorite spots though. Kipper on the back of the couch, Callie on the mantle, Missy in the corner of my closet, Kiki next to the roomie's bed, and Mira at the foot of my bed, unless I'm in it of course, then she perches on my chest. Armani even has a spot already. He seems to have claimed the recliner chair. The only cats that are usually "in the way" are Kipper and Armani and they are both pretty huge and scary-looking so most visitors in my house will usually stand instead of trying to move them anyway. Those that know my cats well and aren't afraid will simply pick the cat up, sit down, and place the cat in their lap, which is okay with both me and the cats.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mira's_mommy

The only cats that are usually "in the way" are Kipper and Armani and they are both pretty huge and scary-looking so most visitors in my house will usually stand instead of trying to move them anyway.
He he he! Thanks for the early morning laugh!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

I think the REAL question is:

Do your CATS allow YOU on the furniture????
haha! To them...I AM the furniture!

It takes less than 30 seconds for me to be covered in cats when I lie down on the couch with my book at night!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think the REAL question is:

Do your CATS allow YOU on the furniture????
Originally Posted by otto

haha! To them...I AM the furniture!

It takes less than 30 seconds for me to be covered in cats when I lie down on the couch with my book at night!
That was my exact response to the question!

When one of the kitties lies down on Gary, often he refuses to move until the cat(s) want up!

....On a different note, I remember the first time we brought home a cat tree. The minute it came in the door, they were all over it. We were still pretty new to cats, and Gary says - I wonder how they knew it was theirs? Well... when we moved into a house from the RV, and we brought in furniture - the cats were all over it. So the obvious answer was, as has already been pointed out in several ways - of course it is ALL theirs.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

When one of the kitties lies down on Gary, often he refuses to move until the cat(s) want up!
I grew up in a house full of kids and cats. The rule was, if you had a cat on your lap you didn't have to get up to....change the channel, answer the phone, get the popcorn, .....and so on. Anyone who had the misfortune to be catless at any given moment had to do these tasks.

I always thought it was a great rule!

wellingtoncats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

My cats are allowed anywhere and on anything in my home.
You said it first!

My cats are allowed anywhere - they can help me cook by sitting on the bench but I have to be careful when I'm chopping things!

Infact, here's my 2 helpers on my kitchen bench:

I'm kitty whipped!

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL!

I too am cat furniture!

I am also one of those people that will sit there in a very uncomfortable position just because I refuse to move the cat from my lap/shoulder/leg! Sometimes I get too uncomforatble OR really really need to get up (answer phone/answer door) then I take them off, but not before I apologize, LOL!

I do have to say, there is only one area that is off limits to my cats: the counters that are connected to the stove. I am terrified of house fires, and for some reason my cats think if they are allowed on the counter next to the stove, then they are allowed ON the stove. My stove is very easy for a cat to turn on, trust me, it's happened already!

This makes me ask, for those who let cats on their stove.... How do you prevent them from turning the stove on????

kalikat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I gave up years ago trying to keep Blossom off benches & tables. She goes wherever she likes. I do push her off the kitchen bench but nowadays she only gets on them when I'm getting her food ready.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The kitchen sink and drainboard, the stove and the adjacent counter are taboo around here, and generally recognized as such (once in a while I find kitty pawprints there when I come home). Otherwise there aren't any restrictions. Until recently one kitchen counter was the take-off/landing pad for reaching the top of the cabinets (where there was a cat bed) via the fridge, but we just got a new extra-tall fridge which is too high for a senior kitty. He eats on that counter.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

LOL!

I too am cat furniture!

I am also one of those people that will sit there in a very uncomfortable position just because I refuse to move the cat from my lap/shoulder/leg! Sometimes I get too uncomforatble OR really really need to get up (answer phone/answer door) then I take them off, but not before I apologize, LOL!

I do have to say, there is only one area that is off limits to my cats: the counters that are connected to the stove. I am terrified of house fires, and for some reason my cats think if they are allowed on the counter next to the stove, then they are allowed ON the stove. My stove is very easy for a cat to turn on, trust me, it's happened already!

This makes me ask, for those who let cats on their stove.... How do you prevent them from turning the stove on????
I trained the kitties the same way with children I tell them "Ow HOT" and they dont touch it the only one who gives me problems with this is Fatman and thats because hes a snotty little booger who thinks he allows us to live in his house! But he has figured out that when there are pots on the stove he cant get on it so I dont take anything off of it till its cooled off and I can hold my palm on the stove and not get burned! But as for turning it on my knobs are on the top of the stove next to the clock so noone messes with them and its one that needs to be pushed in to turn it on so its almost like child/cat proofed. *Can you take the knobs off so in case they are atleast off so noone can turn the stove on????*

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by RussianKitten

Nefertiti is a queen and has every right to do what she likes. It got me wondering though.. fellow cat owners, your furniture, do your cats go on it whenever they want?
:
What? We humans have a choice in this matter?