Cats not getting along

NanaTracey73

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My hubby and I have 4 cats of our own and at the start of this year our friend moved in and he also has a cat. Our 2 females and our friends female do not get along and are constantly growling,hissing at each other. I know it can take time for cats to adjust and get acclimated to each other but how can we keep this behaviour to a minimum?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. The hissing and growling, while not pleasant for anyone, isn't the end of the workld. If they are not actually fighting with fur flying and/or blood being drawn, it could be just a matter or more time.

Did you go through introduction steps? Slow and gradual exposure with varying tactics is usually the only way to get cats past the angst over moving and/or having to be exposed to a new cat. People will tell you that females are more inclined to have issues, but I personally think it isn't a universal thing among all cats. You can change up the steps in an introduction process as they pertain to each cat involved, so not all of them have to be treated the same way during introductions, or corrective actions to try to improve some of the relationships. It could be a matter of backing up the introduction process for just these 3 cats - and, if they all get along with the males individually, you can use the males as conduits to help get the others to get along as well.
How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction - TheCatSite
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just seconding FeebysOwner FeebysOwner 's response. Hissing and growling, while not pleasant for US, is nothing more than a heated discussion, and can be observed on occasion even in well-bonded cats. It's a matter of, "Sometimes a cat's gotta say what a cat's gotta say." If that's the extent of it, it will probably slowly dissipate with time.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll also chime in and say that the hissing and growling usually isn't a bad thing. It hasn't ever escalated further than that, right. No fights. No fur flying. No bloodshed. Also none of the cats are acting stressed, i.e. not eating normally, litter box issues, spraying/marking around the house? Those would be things to suggest things weren't going well.

Basically with multiple cats in the home, you want to make sure there's plenty of room for each of them to have their own space.

Here's a short TCS article on The Multi-Cat Household [An Owner's Manual for Healthy, Happy Cats] - TheCatSite that might have some tips for you.

Also How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats) - TheCatSite