Cat's Nose

cats meow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello

Ever since I got my kitten Jaspurr, he has what appears to be black stuff around his nose. He's an indoor cat. Sometimes it's more prominent than other times. Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it? Thank you in advance !

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
Is it something you can wipe off? It may be a good idea to get him checked at the vet, just in case it's due to an illness or infection, of allergies.

My first thought without seeing a picture is possibly feline acne. Some cats are prone to it (my oldest gets it on his chin when he's stressed) if that's the case, making sure he has ceramic or steel bowls (not plastic) might help. You can also wipe it with warm water and dry it well to help clear it up. Honestly, though, I would consider popping him over the the vet, just to be safe.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the black stuff around the nostrils or is it on the nose like on the fur? If it's around the nostrils, it could be boogers. Yes, cats do get boogers sometimes :lol: You can wipe or gently pick them off with a damp tissue. No vet visit or any treatment is needed for boogers.

What color is your cat? Orange cats tend to develop black freckles on their noses and lips and even inside their mouths along the gums. This is normal.

If you take a picture of your cat's nose, you can email it to your vet for an opinion if your vet uses email.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the black stuff around the nostrils or is it on the nose like on the fur? If it's around the nostrils, it could be boogers. Yes, cats do get boogers sometimes :lol: You can wipe or gently pick them off with a damp tissue. No vet visit or any treatment is needed for boogers.

What color is your cat? Orange cats tend to develop black freckles on their noses and lips and even inside their mouths along the gums. This is normal.

If you take a picture of your cat's nose, you can email it to your vet for an opinion if your vet uses email.
I agree with Its3. My cat often has dry black marks on his nostrils. I think it's because he's such a greedy little xxxxx that when he eats dry food, his nose is right in the bowl and the dry residue of the food sticks to the wet inside of his nose. Could this be the case with your cat?