cats love water?

snowyandtabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi all

i thought cats hate water?

not in our cae snowy and tabby go near water all the time.

when we go to run a tap they are they tryin to lick the water and even when running bath taps same out come.

so we got them a water fountain, and now they getting alot of water to drink.

i heard that cats need alot of water coz they can get something wrong later inlife?.

any one agree or disagree.

thanx
matty

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats hate water, but it's not uncommon for cats to drink from faucets and things like that. I'm not exactly sure why, but I know a lot of people on here who have cats like that

sweetiecat3

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
But what did you mean by "they could get something wrong later in life" ? You mean like a disease or cancer or something?? If so, I've never heard of any studies like that. There are plenty of healthy cats who drink from faucets all the time
I don't think it's anything to worry about....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

snowyandtabby

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
just saw some stuff on cat sites.

yea mite be worrying over nothing.

thanx

matty

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
State College, PA and Haddon Township, NJ
Most cats dont like to be in water, but most I've dealt with love to at least find new and/or interesting places to drink it from... my Oliver wont go jumping in the tub for a swim, but he's very good for his monthly baths.... he has 2 or 3 bowls designated for his drinking water (2 at my apartment, 3 at my parents' house), but he's always hopping on the toilet (only occassionally, I know it's not the greatest place to drink from) or up onto the bathroom sink for a drink or two... as far as something going wrong... if cats (or any pet for that matter) dont get enough water intake, they may become dehydrated, and depending on severity they may need a trip to the vet for fluid therapy to get back on track - just keep an eye on your cats to make sure they're drinking enough (sounds like they are) - this is more of a problem usually for people who only feed their cats dry kibble and not wet food too - like me, but Oliver won't touch wet food to save his life... picky little bugger, but like I said, he's always looking for drinking water, haha

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are scientists! They love running water, and so I turn it down very low, so it's not blasting (or wasting) and they come up, watch it, stick their paws in it, chase around the sink after it, make noises at it, and generally study it as long as they can. Most animals like running water (an instinct that probably keeps them alive in the wild), so I guess cats aren't a lot different.

azalie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most cats hate being wet, but not all of them. Some cats will enjoy joining their humans in a bath. Carl would join me in the shower if it wasn't for the water falling down on his face. He has no problem sitting in water or laying his tail across his water dish, however.

What you read was probably the advertising on one of the FreshFlow water fountains. Basically you have to make sure cats are drinking enough water, and drinking enough water can prevent dehydration ,or liver and kidney problems that commonly develop later in life. Becuase cats prefer cool, fresh water as opposed to water that may become stagnant in a bowl, the filter and pump in the FreshFlow or similar products produces water that is closer to water fresh from the faucet, and cats may end up drinking more water as a result.

Carl almost never drank water in the first year I had him, so when I found the FreshFlow on sale for $35 CAD, I bought it. Now he drinks several cups of water a day! I do not regret my purchase.
Lots of water is as healthy for cats as it is for humans!!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Azalie

Most cats hate being wet, but not all of them. Some cats will enjoy joining their humans in a bath. Carl would join me in the shower if it wasn't for the water falling down on his face. He has no problem sitting in water or laying his tail across his water dish, however.

What you read was probably the advertising on one of the FreshFlow water fountains. Basically you have to make sure cats are drinking enough water, and drinking enough water can prevent dehydration ,or liver and kidney problems that commonly develop later in life. Becuase cats prefer cool, fresh water as opposed to water that may become stagnant in a bowl, the filter and pump in the FreshFlow or similar products produces water that is closer to water fresh from the faucet, and cats may end up drinking more water as a result.

Carl almost never drank water in the first year I had him, so when I found the FreshFlow on sale for $35 CAD, I bought it. Now he drinks several cups of water a day! I do not regret my purchase.
Lots of water is as healthy for cats as it is for humans!!
Hey! That's what I need! My three girls drink out of the aquarium most of the time,where the water flows out of the filter. They love to watch it drip from a faucet too. Anna,the youngest,plays in a wading pool(yes,her very own) It keeps her out of the pond,anyway! She is the first cat I've ever seen that loves getting in water.

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by taterbug

She is the first cat I've ever seen that loves getting in water.
I know I've seen several Animal Planet specials on a certain Turkish breed of cat (can't remember the full name... they're in the States too) that LOOOOVE swimming in water... I remember on the one special, the couple bred them and it showed the cats swimming in their pool with their dog... so maybe your kitty has some Turkish cat in her bloodline!

taterbug

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

I know I've seen several Animal Planet specials on a certain Turkish breed of cat (can't remember the full name... they're in the States too) that LOOOOVE swimming in water... I remember on the one special, the couple bred them and it showed the cats swimming in their pool with their dog... so maybe your kitty has some Turkish cat in her bloodline!
WOW!! I'll have to look into that! Thank you! I know her father looked unusual....cool!!

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is the Turkish Van. Three of my cats love water, and play in it, drink it from the tap or the bath(!) and occasionally fall in it. One of the greatest dangers to a cat's health is if it becomes dehydrated, and it is one of the first signs of illness. Cats are also prone to kidney disease later in life and male cats especially can get urinary infections. So it is important to ensure that your cat has access to fresh water at all times, no matter where it comes from!

buzbyjlc10

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

That is the Turkish Van.
Thanks!! I knew it was the "Turkish something" but I can never remember the full name!! They look like pretty cool cats!
Oliver comes to visit me in the shower occasionally but never fully hops in... cant imagine having a Turkish Van in the tub with me, hehehe

commonoddity042

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pudge hates baths more than any other cat I've known, but she'll grudgingly tolerate it. The second her fur's done drying, she's a big mushbucket.

I've had fosters who would sit perfectly still while being bathed, and I've had a few who would sit on the edge of the tub and slap the shower water around.

love of water varies with each individual cat.

jayme&jackson

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey, I think it is very interesting that snowy and tabby love water, Jackson absolutely loves it too...if he's not dipping his paws in it, he is continusouly drinking it...That cat pee's more than a human...I don't know so much about later in life health issues, but I do know cats can get dehydrated very quickly...and that can become very serious!!!! I think thats neat that they enjoy water! just make sure there drinkin there water....take care
Jayme&Jackson

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by BuzbyJLC10

Thanks!! I knew it was the "Turkish something" but I can never remember the full name!! They look like pretty cool cats!
Oliver comes to visit me in the shower occasionally but never fully hops in... cant imagine having a Turkish Van in the tub with me, hehehe
Howdy, Buz. Turkish Vans truly are "pretty cool cats." Take a look at our Vans, Samwise and Molly, by clicking on their names in our siggy. Endless cheer and wonder.

kaleetha

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yep, Toulouse and I have a ritual in the morning. When I'm ready to brush my teeth he'll jump up on the sink and I'll turn the faucet on. He drinks and plays.... when he jumps on, I rinse (both my brush and the sink!) and turn it off. Every morning.........

drness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you think your cat is drinking copious amounts of water, you should get it checked for diabetes. Yes, cats get diabetes.

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by drness

If you think your cat is drinking copious amounts of water, you should get it checked for diabetes. Yes, cats get diabetes.
We once had a dear male Burmese who started drinking a great deal of water, and the vet diagnosed a serious kidney problem, resolved by medication.

summerkid710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is there any way to teach middle age cats to drink from a water bowl?

I finally got the bathtub faucet leak fixed where my 2 six-year-old male cats (brothers) have always drank. I bought the Petmate Fountain bowl and they won't go near it. I've resorted to leaving the sink on "drip" when I'm gone. My third kitty has no problem with drinking from the bowl. Any tips? To be honest, if I have to leave it on drip, I will. But it would be nice to get them drinking from the bowl.