Cat's Jaw Seems To Be Dislocated...

kittykatcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, so my cat came home yesterday afternoon drooling, jaw out of alignment, and had a few scratches on her. I took her to the vet this afternoon and after doing an x-ray they couldn't find any sign if dislocations or fracture even though by looking at her you could tell something was off. (Tongue poking out, drooling, large eyes, etc.) The vet told me to take her home over the weekend and if she hadn't had any improvement to bring her back on Monday.

I don't have any issues with this but being a minor without a paycheck, my mother is in charge of the bills and isn't willing to pay much to help her because we're in a bit of a financial situation. If my cat doesn't show improvement by Monday, she's going to be put down per my mom's request.

Is there any hope of the jaw not being dislocated and something my cat can recover from on her own? Could it be something muscular? Any advice is helpful at this point, I'm just desperate to save my kitty.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry you and your cat are going through this. I hope that there's some way to sort through these issues, so she can have a speedy recovery. :vibes:

I might be totally off, but is it possible she got into some toxins outside? These can sometimes cause drooling. That's all I can think of, since the vet didn't find anything on the x-ray.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykatcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

ck2d

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not dizzy or seeming to want to fall to one side? Or walking along the edges of rooms instead of through the middle? If so, that could be vestibular disease. Simple cure with some antibiotics and steroids.

kittykatcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not dizzy or seeming to want to fall to one side? Or walking along the edges of rooms instead of through the middle? If so, that could be vestibular disease. Simple cure with some antibiotics and steroids.
She's rather reluctant to move too much, but after getting her to follow me around the house there's no sign of dizziness or anything that could suggest an ear infection. And outside of sleeping more than usual the only thing wrong is her jaw still.

kittykatcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Quick update on her. My mom has agreed to work out a payment plan with the vet because Croe, despite still not being able to close her mouth fully, has mostly returned back to normal and is able to eat and drink on her own. So putting her down is no longer being talked about unless she somehow is no longer able to look after herself. She's still rather lethargic, but I'm very hopeful she'll be able to pull through. Still don't know what is causing her jaw issues but hopefully tomorrow's vet visit will reveal more :)

kittykatcrazy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Croe has come home safe and sound, turns out her jaw was dislocated in a strange place and the vet failed to notice it. He corrected it and only charged us for the fixing of her jaw and not the x-rays and sedation! All is well and she is currently curled up on my bed sleeping away. Thank you all for the concern and help!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is so wonderful! I am very happy for you! Poor kitty. Good on you for sticking to your guns about the jaw being dislocated. Everyone makes mistakes, even vets. Now you can relax that she will get better from now on.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
:dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

BEST NEWS OF THE DAY! I am so thrilled for both you and Croe! Now, just because this is taken care of, don't be a stranger! You are a part of our community now. When you get a minute, click on this link New Cats on the Block and introduce your self and Croe to the community. We'd love pictures if you have them. WELCOME to TCS!