Cat's jaw broken while in care of Rowan County Animal Control, NC

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
WARNING: Graphic photos of the damage done to this kitty.

http://www.examiner.com/article/cat-critically-injured-while-the-care-of-rowan-county-animal-shelter

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this? But one of the fosters I know shared this on Facebook and I thought everyone here would be outraged and be willing to spread the word.
 While at the Rowan County shelter a cat named Cooper was critically injured when his jaw was broken and his mouth split. There are two versions of how his horrific injury occurred. One is that two shelter employees injured Cooper while he was being microchipped. Labeled as "feral," one employee is reported to have stepped on Cooper's tail and another on his head to keep Cooper immobile for his microchipping. The shelter denies Cooper was injured by their staff and are blaming the veterinarian who neutered Cooper.Precious Furbaby Rescue took Cooper to China Grove Animal Hospital March 10. Dr. Vaughn at China Grove was able to fix the front of Cooper's jaw. Unfortunately, his back jaw had two other fractures the clinic was unable to repair. Arrangements are being made to transfer Cooper to a dental veterinarian either in Huntersville or Charlotte.
There's a fundraiser for Cooper there and plenty of contact information to file complaints. This is seriously NOT acceptable.

Here is the contact information to file a complaint (in case you didn't want to click and see the photos):

Rowan County Govenment https://www.rowancountync.gov/GOVERNMENT/Departments.aspx
File official complaint NCDOJ Animal Cruelty hotline at 855-290-6915
Thomas Staton is the AC officer at the front desk and can be reached at (704)216-7773

You can help with Cooper's veterinary bill by calling the China Grove clinic at 704-857-1017.  Updates and more information can be found on Facebook: Saving Cooper.   You can PM me for information about how to donate by Paypal.

now, my personal rant: I've fostered feral cats and in no situation has it EVER been acceptable to STEP on a cat's HEAD, no matter how out of control or violent they got (and i've gone to the hospital for feral cat inflicted wounds more than once). Get a towel, get a THICK pair of GLOVES and put a couple of thick sleeves on to protect yourself, lure the kitty into a crate with tuna or something...  there are so many different ways they could have handled this situation and doing this much damage to this cat just reflects how lazy, careless and cruel the workers are. And then they apparently didn't even seek immediate medical attention for Cooper, he just sat in the cage in PAIN until a foster came to pick him up. how disgusting. i can't imagine the pain and fear that poor Cooper has endured..

Last edited by a moderator:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, no matter what, SOMETHING happened to cause this horrific injury and it is totally unacceptable. But I'm afraid until we have some laws that gives serious penalties (I'd rather see jail time myself) these things are going to keep happening. Here in Nebraska I was horrified to see in the paper three or four teenagers tortured a cat and recorded it! I just saw now they got probation and community service.Same with the two men that shot 27 antelope at night in one setting, probation and fine again! Serial killers in the making or at the very least, the torture and killing will continue! What ever goes on in those sick, twisted minds has got to be eliminated somehow, it will not stop with a slap on the wrist!

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I can just barely handle this.

After my recent experience of asking the SPCA for help with a feral colony, I am just sick at heart at what must be going on behind closed doors with these animals that we will never know about.

Thank heaven the paper was willing to report it, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Over the years of working with the Colony I manage,  I have come to believe that animals are the "higher" species and that mankind is somewhere on the bottom. There are so many kind, caring and wonderful people helping animals, but there are also many cruel and decidedly sick, control freaks who must by psychologically damaged that somehow get connected with animals. I hope there is a special place in the afterlife for them. And, Hell, would really be too nice a place!

I will follow-up on all the links you provided.

Thanks again for letting us know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hmckinney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I agree, no matter what, SOMETHING happened to cause this horrific injury and it is totally unacceptable. But I'm afraid until we have some laws that gives serious penalties (I'd rather see jail time myself) these things are going to keep happening. Here in Nebraska I was horrified to see in the paper three or four teenagers tortured a cat and recorded it! I just saw now they got probation and community service.Same with the two men that shot 27 antelope at night in one setting, probation and fine again! Serial killers in the making or at the very least, the torture and killing will continue! What ever goes on in those sick, twisted minds has got to be eliminated somehow, it will not stop with a slap on the wrist!
yeah, this guy probably won't even get jail time for this. it's disgusting.

how do you get just probation and community service for torturing a cat and filming it?! oh my god.

After my recent experience of asking the SPCA for help with a feral colony, I am just sick at heart at what must be going on behind closed doors with these animals that we will never know about.

Thank heaven the paper was willing to report it, and thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Over the years of working with the Colony I manage,  I have come to believe that animals are the "higher" species and that mankind is somewhere on the bottom. There are so many kind, caring and wonderful people helping animals, but there are also many cruel and decidedly sick, control freaks who must by psychologically damaged that somehow get connected with animals. I hope there is a special place in the afterlife for them. And, Hell, would really be too nice a place!

thank you! hopefully word about this will get out there and some kind of action will be taken.

yeah, it's surprising what kind of people make it behind the scenes...

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The look on the face of the cat is absolutely haunting.

He  has been forever traumatized as well.

My gosh, it just hurts to know someone did this in a place where "care" for them is supposed to happen.

And who hired the person who did this?

What kind of cautions are in place to prevent someone like this getting hired?

Wow! It is jus awful.

Please post  here if there are any updates you hear about.

kittens mom

Kittens life was lost to a negligent veterinarian.
Top Cat
Purraise
This case should open up a full investigation of the whole facility. This is the one they got caught on. Raise your had if you think this is the first cat that was abused by these shelter workers. 

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I don't see them as a higher species , I do view them as individual sentient beings with some rights. Many more than are afforded to them through the legal system. This is from me the person suing the veterinarian as a pro se for blinding my cat. Kitten. Who we lost to liver failure just under 3 months later.

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just clicked on one of your links that says the County is going to pay for all of the Cat's medical expenses.

Well, thank heaven for that, but why is this dear sweet little animal still in their care?

If I was near there I would try to adopt him or, at the very least, go sit with him next to his cage for every hour they were open.

Can't someone get him out of there? 

Get him to someplace quickly where he will get love?????

Whew!!

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our local animal shelter was in trouble and the man who was running it (I forget the title) was citing Rowan's as an example.  Apparently, he wanted to emulate them.  They are now looking for his replacement...public pressure does wonders.  I didn't look at the pictures, but I appreciate you making us aware of this.  I will use the contact information to the Rowan County government.  I hope they will do a "housecleaning" of employees at the Rowan shelter, at the very least.  

http://www.lincolntimesnews.com/2015/12/17/updated-lincoln-county-animal-services-fined-by-state/

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

yeah, this guy probably won't even get jail time for this. it's disgusting.

how do you get just probation and community service for torturing a cat and filming it?! oh my god.

thank you! hopefully word about this will get out there and some kind of action will be taken.

yeah, it's surprising what kind of people make it behind the scenes...
Yes and some of these people work in vet offices.  You really never know how someone truly feels about cats until they are alone with them.  But I think you can get a hint when you see the way some of them carry your pet.  Scary.  

This is OUTRAGEOUS!!  Rowan county is only several counties away from me.  It's mostly farm land from what I've seen.  I'm really ashamed of them!!!  What hurts me even more is this kitty is the same colors as my Gracie.  Poor kitty!  

So how do you complain to authorities when they won't do anything about it anyway, or worse, they hate cats and therefore underhandedly approve of such horrible cruelty?

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Several years ago, I knew a girl who is from Rowan county and she would be absolutely HORRIFIED to know about this.  She loves all animals.  I wish I hadn't lost contact with her but I think I will try to see if she knows about this.  She would definitely speak up and do something too. I wonder if she would adopt him?

Last edited:

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ginny, that would be so great if you make contact with that person who might create some chaos in order to help this sweet cat.

I seriously have to control myself from getting in my car and driving to the shelter to adopt this cat. I just can't imagine how he will ever recover if he doesn't get some serious love and attention. It worries me that the publicity about him may put him in more danger (i,e, ,,,,he "died" from his wounds")

And, you know how much sense that makes given my current conditions!! I guess I could put all 50 of the feral cats in the car with me and drive to the shelter.
 I live in California.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can't find the girl's number or contact info.  I think she's gotten married and moved.  I also remember that she had a pit bull, so maybe she isn't the best choice.  She did have 2 cats and did have to keep them separate.  I've heard that this 
 idiot AC officer has been placed on PAID leave.  PAID LEAVE???  Poor sweet kitty.  I will keep searching for more info and maybe there will be an update on the news.  I also want to call Rowan Co. Animal Shelter directly for some more information on this kitty and that 
 "officer" who should be behind bars.  

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I sent polite emails to both Rowan County's sheriff and their director of animal control.  Of course, they did not respond.  After our primaries tomorrow, I will start emailing people higher up the chain.   Paid leave?  
  The "officer" needs to be paying vet bills instead of leaving it for the tax payers.  And be fired.  And serve time.  Sorry for repeating myself.  What I really want to say is 

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok here's the update I found.  It's from March 11 from one of the regional news channels.  There is a video of the kitty recovering with some kind of cone around his neck (one I've never seen before) and he was being petted.  It's not that awful picture that was posted in the Examiner, so it's not hard to look at.  But this may make you all (and me too) feel a little bit better that something is being done and at least this kitty is out of harm's way now.  

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/105397130-story

Last edited:

kittens mom

Top Cat
Purraise

I sent polite emails to both Rowan County's sheriff and their director of animal control.  Of course, they did not respond.  After our primaries tomorrow, I will start emailing people higher up the chain.   Paid leave?  
  The "officer" needs to be paying vet bills instead of leaving it for the tax payers.  And be fired.  And serve time.  Sorry for repeating myself.  What I really want to say is 
I would think making bail for animal cruelty should be this sub humans biggest concern.

nurseangel

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Ok here's the update I found.  It's from March 11 from one of the regional news channels.  There is a video of the kitty recovering with some kind of cone around his neck (one I've never seen before) and he was being petted.  It's not that awful picture that was posted in the Examiner, so it's not hard to look at.  But this may make you all (and me too) feel a little bit better that something is being done and at least this kitty is out of harm's way now.  

http://www.fox46charlotte.com/news/local-news/105397130-story
Thank you for the information.  It's good to see the Attorney General's number for complaints is included in this link.  I will definitely call...

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you also notice at the end of the article there will be an open to the public forum on April 12?  It's at 6pm.  I'm thinking of going.  It's a good two hour drive but I think I could make it.  

supermax1943

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ginny,

I'll go with you. My car or yours, if all 50 of my cats will fit in yours?

All kidding aside, and really none of this is at all amusing. It is infuriating, gut wrenching! 

That would be so wonderful if you could go.

If not, it sounds as if the news people will follow the hearing.

Wonder why they are even having a hearing.

The only good news would be that the hearing turns into a lynching.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they say it wasn't their employees, but the vet they use?!  Sounds like damage control to me.

My first question would be, have there ever been any other complaints against this vet?  If not, it was their employees.  If so, what were they thinking sending animals to him?  Either way, they are responsible.

I want this one fully investigated and the actual perpetrators found, prosecuted for felony animal abuse, and their names put in the national animal abuse registry that we still don't have.

Margret