Cat's hiding their pain

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have read in several posts that cats will try to hide their pain and not let you know when something is wrong. Does anyone know why they do this? I guess it is probably just in their nature. I never knew this, but I am glad I found out. It means we all have to be extra observant of our cats to make sure everything is ok with them.

hootiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hi,I don't know if this can be what you mean,I read it in a tiny magazine I bought at wal-mart.It's called "Why Do cats sulk?" and the author is Arline Bleecker. When kitties feel that they are being threatened by an illness or an injury, they take it so seriously that they feel they must try to hide from it. But it is an unseen predator, and they do not know they take it with them wherever they go. Their instincts simply tell them to hide from it. Poor babies! anyway I hope this helped, hootiecat

4cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's mainly a survival mechanism, i.e. so that predators can't tell that they are weak and therefore a sitting duck to be attacked.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is also their survival technique, they are so low on the food chain that they understand any sign of weakness means they could easily be killed by a predator. That's why you have to be very careful in knowing how your cat acts normally and when something is off, understand the cat may be ill or injured.

balsagoth

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by hootiecat
hi,I don't know if this can be what you mean,I read it in a tiny magazine I bought at wal-mart.It's called "Why Do cats sulk?" and the author is Arline Bleecker. When kitties feel that they are being threatened by an illness or an injury, they take it so seriously that they feel they must try to hide from it. But it is an unseen predator, and they do not know they take it with them wherever they go. Their instincts simply tell them to hide from it. Poor babies! anyway I hope this helped, hootiecat
I've read that same little booklet, and it is truly fascinating.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks everyone for the info. I understand now that it is just in their nature to hide their pain. I just wish that at times when our kitties are sick or injured they could feel comforted in knowing that we are going to take care of them and would never cause them harm.

hootiecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know, kitties are so cute! But if they hide from you in your house somewhere, Hootie hides under my bed, even when she isn't in pain or sick, then you can find them easier and help them. All it takes is knowledge of your cute little kitty and knowing what's normal behavior for her and what is odd. That little booklet is fascinating, isn't it? I have 2 others as well, Another is called "Cat Talk" and the other one is called "Quirky Cats". Have you read these? They are really cute and informative about our feline freinds. "Cat Talk" is humorous too, the author tells the stories of rescuing ferals from her cat's point of view, it's wonderful. bye, talk to you later, hootiecat

marge

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah mine does what I call the "Queen Mum thing" meaning he gets very secretive when something isbothering him, and stoic like a member of the royal family. He jumped off a table the other day and hit his leg, I coul d hear the thud and then he hid under the chair and wouldn't come out nad just looked at me blank. Not making a sound. Sure enough he came out a bit later, but was careful when he stood up.