Cats Had Kittens Help

Bethpotter145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My beautiful dotty gave birth this morning between 4am till 5ish she gave birth to five kittens however only two are alive, after she's finished giving birth she finally let them suckle (we think!) they were by her nipples and looked like they were but my question is one they look quite small il add a photo so everyone can see and two when we go in the room she will be with them in the draw however when she sees us she will leave them and want cuddles but will return to them if they are crying but if we open the door to leave she almost runs to the door too is this normal?! She's only 1 year old we rehomed her pregnant Help please really hoping these survive!

We've left her in the room with a litter tray and food and water and have gone for a walk to give her space

Attachments

Last edited:

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you able to weigh the kittens? They look like they may be premature? Are you able to go to the store and get KMR and a syringe and begin supplemental feeding them? They may need it! I have some mommas that will leave kittens and come for me for cuddles but will return to their kittens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bethpotter145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Are you able to weigh the kittens? They look like they may be premature? Are you able to go to the store and get KMR and a syringe and begin supplemental feeding them? They may need it! I have some mommas that will leave kittens and come for me for cuddles but will return to their kittens.
Haven't got scales no, we worked out they were due this week or next so maybe a week prem? Mum is only 10 and half months weve just worked out as we rehomed her maybe that's why they look small? She's only small herself they seem quite happy when I checked on them one of them was crying slightly and mum again as soon as I opened the door ran over what should I do leave them again for a while?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mommas behavior seems normal, but the situation seems touchy. Get home asap a scale - borrow from a neighbour if necessary, KMR - preferably this made by PetAg in powder; OR goats milk is OK - esp if you can get raw goats milk.
A needleless syringe. A little sponge of the make up type may work too.
Begin to weigh them asap, so you know how it develops.
Be ready for supplementing.
Be sure they have it nice, warm and comfy.

An IR-warming lamp is useful if they are premature. Otherwise some heating pad.
IF tis very hot at your place, some chilling off instead may be necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Bethpotter145

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the kittens seems much healthier and happy now! Mum seems to have settled and stays with them now so fingers crossed :)

maggielee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One of the kittens seems much healthier and happy now! Mum seems to have settled and stays with them now so fingers crossed :)
I have recommended the "Miracle Nipple" before (and no, don't know anyone who works for that company, I'm just a happy customer) because its shape is most like Mom's nipples and I find them great for little bitty kittens. The only cons I can think of are 1. They are fairly expensive but I found a great price on another site, not Amazon, when you buy 10 at a time for a far more reasonable price, and 2. They are a little bit difficult to fit into the bottle cap as you insert them from the TOP of the cap, not the bottom. You sort of press down and twist them in. I have used them many times the last few months as we are foster parents for orphaned baby kittens. Hope this helps and thank you so much for taking in the mother cat.