cats grieving process

zorisuzaru

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
hello all, I said goodbye to my beautiful soul mate, Bubbles, yesterday morning. His best friend, Titch, is now alone for the first time in his life, he is 5 years younger than Bubbles so has not known a life without him, the two were like brothers, very close and affectionate to one another. All of today he has been unable to settle, walking all over the house and into rooms which he does not usually go into, running around the garden, calling out and sniffing everything, I can only assume that he is looking for him, it is heart breaking to see him so lonely. We are going to rearrange plans so that at least one of us can be home with him at all times over the next week or so, has anyone experienced this before? What can we do for him to ease this? Getting a new kitty is out of the question until we have had time to properly grieve Bubbles, which may take several months.

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for the loss of Bubbles.

Just like humans, Time and Love are the only true healers of grief for our furry companions.

Try to keep your stress down when you are near him.  Cats can be very sensitive to the moods of their humans.

You will notice behavior changes as he will first be looking for his buddy. 

Second, he will realize that he's got the house and the humans all to himself.

He may become more needy, or more aloof. 

He may eat more, or less.

Watch for inappropriate elimination.  Stress can cause upset GI/Urinary tracts.

Lastly, loving on him can help both of you. 

amethystkytten

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had a similar experience when my dog died my other dog seemed upset by the disappearance of him. When my dog passed away we brought him home to bury and showed our other dog the body so she kind of see and know what was going to help her understand maybe.She seemed lost but with a little love and extra attention she came around although I think I was the one who needed her comfort more and I leaned on her more for that.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I am very sorry you are all coping with this.  @Furmonster Mom has given you useful advice, and most of all remember that this is a natural process people and animals go through, each in their own way.  It is very important to be aware of your emotions, but one thing I believe can sometimes add to your cat's stress is if you behave differently with them and significantly alter the amount of attention they get so be a little cautious with this - much as it is probably very tempting.

Here is a link to International Care Care's bereavement advice which offers advice on what you should look out for and when you might want to seek veterinary advice:

http://www.icatcare.org/advice/problem-behaviour/feline-bereavement