Cats eyes

Dustin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I took a photo of GG this morning and noticed her eyes glow different colors. Anyone know why? I've read some other responses from different threads and will be contacting the vet. Just curious. I can't upload the photo. One eyes green the other is gold in the photo.

Antonio65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a photo of GG this morning and noticed her eyes glow different colors. Anyone know why? I've read some other responses from different threads and will be contacting the vet. Just curious. I can't upload the photo. One eyes green the other is gold in the photo.
The color that you see in the photo is given by the light (likely the flash from the camera, or the natural or artificial light in the room) that hits your cat's retina.
The back of a cat's eye has a reflective layer called "tapetum lucidum" (it means "bright tapestry" in Latin) which reflects the light towards the rear side of the retina and it amplifies the environment light. This is one of the reasons why a cat can see better than we we can in the dark.
This tapetum lucidum makes a cat's eyes shine in the dark.

Depending on the angle the light hits this tapetum lucidum, you can see a different color in a photo or even in real life.

If you see a different color always, even in direct sun light, then you might want to ask a vet if there is any issue in your cat's eyes.

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Nothing else going on with the eyes? Pupils equal? No discharge? When we noticed some eye oddities, our cat ended up having glaucoma.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Usually for adding a photo, you can click on the "attach files' option (left hand side of any post box) and either copy and paste the photo or drag it into the box that opens. Jpeg, gif, or similar is what works best.